Post-9/11 GI Bill and other questions

I will be transferring to A&M in the Fall 2016 semester for Computer Engineering/Electrical Track and I had a few questions for my fellow aggies/vets. I figured I could ask here before calling the veteran’s office for a few of these, because I’m sure they get asked the same questions every day, haha.

GI-BILL

• I heard for the Post 9/11 GI Bill that it’s kind of a pain to get it rolling and it’s best to start early. Where should I start to initiate the GI Bill; VA or TAMU? (I haven’t used any benefits yet)

HEALTH INSURANCE

• I currently pay for TRICARE due to my reserve status. For ACA purposes, as a student am I still required to maintain a minimum amount of insurance or does VA count as enough.

MOVING

• I’m moving to College Station from Austin in August. Anybody recommend a particular moving company? It’s just the wife and I (plus our pug), so we are only moving from a two bedroom apartment. We will probably have a company move just the big furniture and rent a U-haul for the rest of the stuff.

PARKING

• What’s the best parking lot for Dwight Look?

EMPLOYMENT

• I’ve heard of the hireanaggie job dealie, but as a late sophomore/early junior engineering transfer, is there any part-time work that somebody would recommend? My resume consists of semiconductor experience in the civilian workforce and nine years of active duty as an Electronics Technician in the Navy.

Thanks for any help y’all can provide!
-Brandon

Do call the Veteran’s office for help - they are very nice & have a rather large staff. There are many students on various pathways of VA benefits ( both dependents, AD & vets) at this school so they will go over your options. Yes, like any military benefits it will take time, my friend’s son didn’t start soon enough with his requests and had to delay a semester (he was at another university).

Regarding ACA, Tricare does count. Double check to see if the university health plan is cheaper for you. You will be paying out of pocket for tricare providers there - there are some but not many and the closest base is quite a long distance away.

Regarding moving - really, a company to move? That is very expensive - rent a bigger Uhaul & a few friends (beer & pizza are much cheaper than moving fees!). There are 2 or 3 Uhaul companies in CS and Bryan. DO reserve now - they will be in short supply in August since ALL the colleges start around that same time frame. We use moving straps - they’re fabulous - check them out on the internet. We have both the forearm & shoulder ones, they DO work.

Parking is a priority thing, so you will get to preference options, then hope for the best. Engineering is grouped on the Northside of campus, however, many non-engineering students also like Northside lots (for parking on the weekends) - it is next to Northgate & saves $ on parking fees if you have a pass there. There are also several dorms there. The longer you have a parking pass, the higher your priority however, it is a random selection within your priority group - there isn’t a benefit for early sign up or anything like that.

Part time work you might consider on-campus work. You’ll be rather busy with classes and that will line up with any breaks you get during the year. Again, ask at the Vets office, they might be able to steer you to something. Good luck!