Post office

<p>I noticed that Paty does not accept packages mailed though the US Postal Service. The card from the campus PO says for all letters and packages, your mailing address is: ___. Does this mean we can mail packages through regular mail and they would go to the p.o.?</p>

<p>Yes, as long as your D/S has a PO box there. They’ll get a yellow card in their box to alert them they have a package to pick up. Just take that to the window during regular hours and they’ll give them their package.</p>

<p>Oh crud. This just reminded me about D’s P.O. Box. I was going to have her renew it before she left campus but then April 27th happened. Can she just go to the post office & renew the same one when she’s back on 8/22 or should we call and see if we can send a check?</p>

<p>NJBama is correct. However, if you happen to order something from Amazon or another online retailer where you cannot choose the shipping carrier and the retailer chooses to ship via USPS, the package will still arrive at Paty.</p>

<p>RobD, the post office did mail out reminder notices for July renewals on July 15th. If your D had her mail forwarded to your home and had a renewal date of July 31st, you would have received a letter. If she originally opened her PO Box in a different month, her renewal date will be the last day of that month. </p>

<p>FWIW, PO Box fees increased this year to $46 annually for the smallest box size.</p>

<p>She opened it at Bama Bound so it was in May. And I’m sure she didn’t have anything forwarded because neither one of us thought about it till now (well, I’m sure she hasn’t thought about it yet!) Oh well. Guess she’ll just have to get a new P.O. Box.</p>

<p>^ DS is in the same situation, I called last month and was told he could open a new one or pay (i think) $15 late fee to reopen the old one. We definitely did not get any renewal notice.</p>

<p>When we moved son out after the tornado, we wanted to turn in the key, but everything was closed. I called a couple of weeks later, and they told me to write a cover letter with a check, and he would be renewed for another year. We had done an early Bama Bound last year, so had planned to close it out on spring move out. They cashed my check, so I’m assuming he has the same box again for next year.</p>

<p>Montegut: do you have the number you called? Maybe I’ll try that on Monday. Thanks!</p>

<p>Son cleared out his PO Box and left a forwarding address for summer mail before leaving Tuscaloosa in April. May explain why he received a renewal notice for his PO Box (with a July 31 expiration) a few weeks ago.</p>

<p>we signed up during BamaBound so his year was up May 15th ish. Didn’t even think of it right after the storm. We’ll see what happens when he shows up with his key in a few weeks I guess.</p>

<p>It depends on when you originally opened your P.O. Box as to when you would have received your renewal notice. Usually a notice is placed directly in your box or if you have forwarded your mail, it is mailed home. Just place a notification on your calendar to take care of it for next year before you leave campus to make things easier.</p>

<p>The U.S. Post Office will hold your packages at the desk if they are too large for the box. With most retailers you must select your mode of delivery. UPS/Fedex delivers to Paty Hall. No delivery on weekends/holidays or school closures.</p>

<p>For the first couple weeks of the semester, the post office will have longer that usual lines. However, they do receive packages on Saturday (though one can only pick up packages Monday-Friday) and are open when the rest of UA is closed, including breaks and many weather closures. During the winter, I recommend shipping packages to students via USPS for that reason.</p>

<p>FWIW, there is no reason to open a PO Box online as it actually makes more work for everyone involved. Also, one cannot share PO Boxes with other students (family members are exempt from this rule).</p>

<p>I looked up the PO online. Just did that again. Here’s the number: 205-758-1852. Hours are M-F, 830-4. Good luck!</p>

<p>You’re awesome Montegut :slight_smile: Thank you!</p>

<p>FYI: I did just call and gosh they’re as helpful as everyone else at UA! I need to mail a check with the $15 late fee & the $46 yearly fee (total $61) with D’s name & PO Box on the check and they’ll reopen the same mailbox. Phew!</p>

<p>Can someone explain how exactly we ship to campus from an online retailer? I’ve read the package shipping instructions for parents and I can’t quite figure it out, because it says packages are supposed to be labeled with our phone number and email address, but I don’t think we can really do that if we ship from, say, Amazon…</p>

<p>I’ll probably buy most of my textbooks, a laptop and other stuff online that will ship after I’ve moved in. Am I supposed to ship that to Paty? The alternative if I can’t ship to campus would be sending stuff to my sister and Birmingham and picking it up from her.</p>

<p>Cool RobD, when I called they didn’t mention being able to mail it, said he should just drop by.
Will be sending this today, is this the address you have?</p>

<p>USPS
104 FERGUSON CTR
TUSCALOOSA, AL 35486-2000</p>

<p>Hi, Folks! Wow! I can’t believe summer is ending.</p>

<p>My son received a renewal notice (due July 31) on Friday, yet he opened his box in late August last year.</p>

<p>Go figure. He had mail forwarded so we’ll see if they will renew it without the late fee. If not, so be it.</p>

<p>Its hard to start thinking about all these things already :)</p>

<p>I am asking my D’s friends and family to write to her. I think it will be a “day brightener” if she can go to her PO Box and get some mail or cards.</p>