postponed and then submitting mid-year grades cannot be much of a determining factor?

<p>assuming that most Wisconsin applicants are not in coast mode and most people will submit grades that are the same or if not better then they normally get I don't see how these additional grades can be that much of a factor on who gets admitted. I think there are a lot of other factors that come into play that don't involve mid-year grades. </p>

<p>They want to see all A’s or close in the AP classes you’re supposed to be taking. A lot of seniors do go into coast mode and their grades drop. </p>

<p>u really think all A’s in mid-year is going to tip the admission in a persons favor? i see it as that’s what they expect and not having good grades will only disqualify a small amount of people.(like 15%) i think there is more to it then that. </p>

<p>just in case some people were wondering this is from Wisconsin website: What does it mean to be postponed?
Postponing decisions is a method we use to manage enrollment and maximize campus resources. When our admission counselors first review an application, they make one of three admission decisions—admit, deny, or postpone. Postponed applicants are those who are neither admitted nor denied at the time of the initial review. They are essentially held for further consideration. By delaying final decisions for a limited number of postponed students, we are able to analyze space and admit with certainty the students with the strongest qualifications and the greatest potential for contribution to our university. We are also able to offer admission to the maximum number of applicants.
What should I do now that I’ve been postponed?
To ensure continued consideration of your application, please follow these steps:

1. Self-report your mid-year senior grades and submit any new test scores as soon as they are available. Our office will provide further instructions by email on reporting your grades.
  2. If you have new ACT or SAT scores, ask the testing agency to send an official report to us directly.
  3. Consider submitting letters of recommendation if you did not include them with your original application. We like to see at least one recommendation from someone who can attest to your academic ability.</p>

<p>They’re saying that they want to wait and see who else applies before they issue you a decision. And after that time, they will take the top applicants at that time (mid-year grades come in here) from the postponed pool and offer them admission. The number chosen from the postponed pool is dependent on how many slots still remain.</p>

<p>Someone correct me if I am wrong.</p>

<p>this was posted a few years ago:
We receive more than 25,000 applications for freshman admission each year. Historically, we admit close to 55 percent of applicants upon initial review, postpone 25 percent, and deny 20 percent. In an average year, approximately 65 percent of applicants are ultimately admitted (either initially or after being postponed).</p>

<p>What are my chances of being admitted when final decisions are made in March?</p>

<p>Historically, approximately half of postponed applicants are offered admission. This number can fluctuate. </p>

<p>It sounds like the mid year grades could be pretty important, and there probably is more variation in them across students than the OP thinks.</p>

<p>Mid-year senior grades are really, really important. My son had his first quarter grades (all A or A- in AP/HN and one straight B in another Honors English – all sent in officially by the g.c… He was almost borderline if 8th and 9th grades HS classes were factored into GPA. The 12th grade grades were the tipping factor; we are certain of it. He got his acceptance on Friday.</p>

for anyone else postponed? what were your guys’ ACT and grade point averages? I was just expecting to be accepted, then found out I was post poned.

@Leyland Congrats to your son! Did he apply during the 2nd notification period or had he been postponed?

Hi, @ncny215‌ and thanks. Actually, he was not postponed, he was accepted in the first wave. He applied really early and proactively sent in first quarter grades in November (I think), got accepted in December, and then first semester grades were sent in January, although they were not requested in the acceptance letter. This year I think about 7 kids applied and 5 that we know of were accepted. At least 4 of those are definitely going. My son is still mulling over his choices and we’re heading out to Madison over spring break for a four day visit.

@Leyland Thanks. Didn’t look at the date on your post when I read that. Enjoy your visit. My daughter is a student there and it’s a fabulous place.

plz chance me ncny215 and leyland

@astro9999 I have to be honest, I’m not a believer in people chancing other people. The truth is there’s not one person on these boards who can predict who will get in and who won’t. Factors vary from high school to high school and person to person. I will tell you that my daughter was accepted to UW with a 23 on her ACT. She was an IB student with strong grades, but if I had asked someone to chance her, everyone would have said she didn’t have a shot with those ACTs. And we know we’ve seen students with high GPAs and scores get rejected. So, unfortunately, you just have to wait another few weeks for your official answer from UW.

on a lighter tone , chancing would have been easier ahh? anyway I think your right i will have to just wait and watch ncny215