POSTPONED! what do I do now?

<p>White Jewish Male
Miwaukee, WI
GPA: about a 3.4/4 unweighted (My school uses a diffrent grading system)
Class rank: top 30% (Very competitive school)
ACT: 27 (Math-30, Reading-29, Science-26, English-23, writing-7)
- Did a couple sports, some clubs and some volunteer work
-I have an extremly good personal essay because of my life story where I moved all around the world, lived through a war and got to where I am today through hard work. I wasn't born in the united states...I moved here about 4 years ago and had to perfect the english language while maintaining good grades. So hopefully they will apprecaite that. Im not a minority tho... (Im white/caucasian) so no affirmative action can help me.
- I have one good letter of recommendation.
- I am taking 3 AP classes (Chem, Bio, Calc) this year but mostly took a bunch of accelerated classes and a few Honors thoughout highschool.
- I had one job from beginning of Junior year till present</p>

<p>What should I do now?
I was thinking about retaking the ACT but the next opportunity to take it is not until mid february which means they might not recieve my score in time to make a decision (I think they send out Postponed decisions by March 15). should I still take it?</p>

<p>I am obviously working my butt off to get good grades for the rest of the semester.</p>

<p>Should I send in additional reccomendations or write another essay or letter or something?</p>

<p>What do you think my chances are with these stats to get in as a postponed applicant (from past experience you have)?</p>

<p>I think they ask for another essay and updated grades. You could try the SAT and see how you do. About half or more of postponed get in later so your odds are still about the same.</p>

<p>Thanks barrons...any more opinions on what I could do?</p>

<p>I was postponed last year with a little bit higher stats than yours (28 ACT 3.76 GPA, top 21%), and I now go to school at Madison. I did several things to get myself off the waitlist. First, I contacted my admissions counselor (If you contact the admissions office they will get you in touch with this person) to ask what I could do to improve my chances of getting in. She gave me alot of good advice. I retook the ACT (though I didn't improve my score) got a very good letter of recommendation, worked really hard on the essays, and wrote a personal letter to follow up and explain why I wanted to go to school at Wisconsin, which I sent in after sending the second application. Probably most importantly, I got a 4.0 1st semester of my senior year. Showing repeated interest to your admissions counselor (I called several times to check in) can really help. Mine actually ended up telling me I was admitted over the phone.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>If you have any more questions you can email me at <a href="mailto:vandeleest@wisc.edu">vandeleest@wisc.edu</a>.</p>

<p>thank you for the great advice fabalyss21!
Is there an extra essay they make you write?
cuz I have have recieved my postponment letter already but they didnt ask me to write any essays...do those essays come later?</p>

<p>def agreewith fabalyss, i know of several ppl who get into mich or wisc bc they stay in contact with the ppl making the decisions...write them just telling them how much you want to go there! it will mean the world to them, and could be the difference for you.</p>

<p>Anyone knows about the additional essays? because my friend who got postponed last year told me about the postponment supplemental and additional esssays to write. I have not recieved that with my potponment letter. Does ANYONE know when that stuff should come?</p>

<p>viperm90, don't shoot the messenger. My gut feeling is your current stat didn't place you near top of the postponed pool. Your IS status and Milwaukee residency don't help your case. Your best bet is to establish a good rapport with your admissions counselor and follow his/her advice - instead of spinning your wheel here. You will likely need serious demonstrated effort and some luck to earn a favorable decision come March. Don't pin all your hope in Madison. Best of luck!</p>

<p>So I still havent recieved the additional essays im suppose to write...anyone knows when those essays come for the postponed applicant?</p>

<p>I believe Madison did away with extra essays or whatnot, if they used to have them like people are saying. According to the Postponed Applicant FAQ (<a href="http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/images/UW_Postponed_Applicant_FAQ.pdf)%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/images/UW_Postponed_Applicant_FAQ.pdf)&lt;/a>, you should send in your first semester grades of this year, and any new ACT/SAT scores if you have them. It also encourages sending in Letters of Recommendation, if you didn't already do that the first time. </p>

<p>I don't see anything on there about additional essays, though.</p>

<p>The rest of that FAQ should tell you more about your chances and such too.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>