Practical Advice for moving from US to UK for Uni

WHen I was a student there (albeit in the 90s), I was able to set up my own Barclay’s account by showing proof of my enrollment. I think I used traveler’s checks to deposit?? They seemed to carry the lowest transaction cost at the time.

I’m assuming things are easier now, but you never know!

Also, amen to the various posters about beer, cider, sherry and liquor. All good advice here.

…and at home from the age of 5 (yes, five)!

The ease of the UCAS was a real bonus for us!

1 Like

Been using Wise for years.

The key advantage: With one account, not only will you be able to hold balances in Euro, Pound Sterling, Dollar, etc. and, if necessary/advantageous, exchange funds between currencies - but most importantly, your account will be accessible for transactions from the different banking systems, which is key!

Specifically, your account will have American ACH routing numbers (the ABA and Account Number on the MICR line of your chequeus), it will have the equivalent UK’s good old “sort code” and account number - but most importantly, will have an IBAN used by every bank throughout the Euro Zone (and much elsewhere in the world, except the U.S., naturally).

Given the ACH and IBAN information, you’ll be able to direct-deposit money, you’ll be able to receive money from payors in U.S., UK, Europe, etc., you’ll be able to pay invoices by direct-debit (which is the norm in Europe, and increasingly used in the U.S. for utilities etc.).

Finally, while people in the U.S. love to handle and process physical paper and actually still mail physical paper checks - I can’t remember how many DECADES ago I touched a cheque form in Europe. Instead, every single invoice you receive will have the vendor’s/service provider’s IBAN printed on it. So outside the U.S., you use your computer or phone, and simply tell your bank how much money to send to the vendor’s IBAN and you’re done.
Having ACH, SortCode and IBAN number for your Wise account removes any “foreign account” hurdles before you even set foot in the country.

This pretty much leaves you with the issue of ATM access, so that you can also have some bank notes and coins. You can have American Express as well as your local U.S. Bank enable your ATM card to also function (at selected) ATMs in Europe/UK - but it may come with foreign currency fees.

Wise does have a Debit Card, that allows a reasonable monthly amount free.

In addition, there might be fees by the ATM operator.

In other words: minimize the use of cash.

1 Like

Spitalfields has great shops and alleys (think Jack the Ripper). In between is Brick lane w/ great Indian food (though my favorite was further down in White Chapel, but it’s gone).

Her top choice is QMUL (at the moment) so we’re staying in East London for our upcoming visit to get a feel for the area. Thanks for the tips!

Blockquote

My son currently living in Wapping and likes it there. Not a bad area. Bethnal Green/Mile End/Bow Road/Hackney a little dicey.

1 Like

Oh, wow! I used to live in Whitechapel (on Varden St near New Rd) and then out in Bow. My husband was a professor at QMUL. I used to teach at Guildhall I think this area has largely gentrified from the days of crime bosses and rough streets. Queen Victoria Park is such an under-the-radar gem. (Or was. Things change over 20 years, so it may be better known now)! Some cool canals around Mile End. We later lived in the Bryant and May match factory, renamed Bow Quarter. I was fine w/ Whitechapel, Spitalfields, Bethnal Green, Bow, Hackney and Mile End. If you want a “roughness” comparison, the playwright Philip Ridley grew up in Bethnal Green and has written some pretty graphic accounts. I did not worry much about crime 20 years ago, and (as I said) I’m sure it’s gentrified. I will say, Whitechapel has traditionally housed London’s poorest immigrants (mostly from Bangladesh when I was there), and Bow it’s poorest white population. The BNP gained ground a little in Bow while I was there, and the one violent incident was racially motivated against a person of color. I hope that has improved. Whitechapel has a mix of the various cultures in its High Street – from crime pubs (you’ll hear about the Blind Beggar, but the Grave Maurice is more accurate if it’s still around) and sari shops from when the population was largely Indian. Last time we drove through a few years ago, Mile End has completely transformed to have more eateries and college type fare.

Good luck and enjoy!

1 Like

My daughter lives in East London. Mile End, I think. She goes running along the canals to the Olympic park and Victoria park 3-4 times per week early in the morning. So far, so good. I worry every time I think about it.

1 Like