Pre-College MT Summer Program

<p>Does anyone know anything about the 4 week Musical Theatre Pre-College program that is offered at UArts?
-quality?
-number of people accepted?
-experience?</p>

<p>thanks!</p>

<p>I think MichaelNKat's daughter has done that program. Perhaps you can PM him in case he doesn't see your post.</p>

<p>My daughter attended the UArts MT summer program during the summer of 2005 and loved it. There were about 55 students in the program, divided into 3 groups based on dance ability. Admission to the program is by application (no audition). The students have classes/studio from 9 - 5, Mon - Fri and study dance, voice, acting and singing/acting. The program culminates in a show, which in 2005 was a "revue" consisting of scenes from West Side Story, Seusical and a few other shows. I was bowled over by the production values and quality of the show which was quite literally put together in the last 2 weeks of the program.</p>

<p>The quality of instruction is first rate. All of the faculty are drawn from the UArts college MT, dance and voice faculty, including the head of the MT program, and are experienced working professionals. Moreover, the educational values that infuse the program are wonderful: supportive, collaborative and nurturing of the developing artist in the context of rigorous and exacting training. Virtually all of the students my daughter met were warm, open young adults full of enthusiasm, energy and excitement about their art. She made many close friends, in the MT program as well as other UArts summer programs, many of whom she is still in regular contact with today. That summer, we hosted 30 of her "best friends" from UArts at our house for a barbecue and found them to be a delight. She also formed close relationships with her professors who were clearly invested in the individual growth of each student.</p>

<p>UArts is located in center city Phila on what is called "The Avenue of the Arts" (Broad St, from Sansom down to Lombard). It is in the heart of the business/ performing arts section of the city. Within a 4 block range on Broad St there is the Academy of Music, Kimmel Center, Miriam Theatre, Wilma Theatre. Home of the Philadelphia Orchestra, Pennsylvania Ballet, Opera Company of Philadelphia, Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia and venues for numerous prominent touring companies for shows that are on Broadway as well as regional productions. Student rush tickets are usually available. To the east, 10 minutes walking, are the Forest and Walnut Street Theatres which regularly stage musicals and dramas. To the west, 15 - 20 minutes walking, are the Phila Museum of Art, Franklin Institute and Museum of Natural Sciences. Cultural attractions and art abound in the area - including impromptu concerts put on by students in Rittenhouse Square!</p>

<p>Students in the summer program can either commute or live in the dorms. The dorms are converted apartment buildings and will spoil any student with their spaciousness. Each apartment has its own bathroom and kitchen. There is no meal plan and students either prepare their own meals, eat at the school's cafeteria or enjoy the vast variety of restaurants, coffee shops and cafes in the area. At night, there are organized activities for the students or they can enjoy what the city has to offer within the limits of school curfews. On weekends, the dorm students can "sign out" to visit friends or family for the weekend or just enjoy what the city has to offer or take day trips. Because we live in the suburbs of Phila and my office is one block from UArts(and because we weren't "ready" to have our then 16 yr old daughter live in a dorm), we elected to have our daughter commute. In retrospect, if making the same decission,we would feel comfortable with her living in the dorms. This area of the city is generally very safe and between the curfews, traveling together in "packs", and plain old common sense, none of her friends had any safety or security issues.</p>

<p>My daughter's experience at UArts solidified her desire to major in MT. The training she received gave her a foundation that has served her well in subsequent training, performing and auditioning opportunities. I highly recommend the program if you are interested in rigorous training in a supportive and collaborative enviroment.</p>

<p>If you are comparing the UArts programs to others out there, here are some additional thoughts.</p>

<p>As I previously noted, the program provides top notch advance training by experienced professionals. It is geared however to both experienced and less experienced students. Experienced students get a tremendous amount out of the program but talented and less experienced students are welcomed as well. In addition to students who were MT students to their core, many of the students were talented dancers and musicians who also wanted to explore MT. While more focused, rigorous and demanding than a summer camp experience, and offering college level training, it did not have the hyperintensity of a "professional screening summer conservatory" program that some of the summer college programs reflect. In other words, regardless of where a student falls on the spectrum, as long as the student has talent and is willing to work hard, a student would have a very positive experience. At the end of the program, students are given comprehensive written evaluations by all of their professors in which those who would be a good candidate for a conservatory program are, however, advised of such.</p>

<p>thanks!
I'd really just to love to attend a program that is equally or more challenging than the CMU MT Pre-College, which I attended this past summer!
UArts is one of my major backups for the summer, my first choice is the Cap21 6 week program, but we'll see what happens. My 2nd choice is probably the Steinhardt 3 week program.</p>

<p>Thank you so much MichaelNKat for your very detailed and informative review of UArts summer program!!!</p>

<p>jessica1289..
I've been trying to find out info from CC about the Steinhardt 3 -week MT program. My daughter may want to apply to Steinhardt next year, so she would rather get a feeling for Steinhardt's faculty than go with a summer program at Tisch. Plus she has the opportunity to intern later in the summer and doesn't want a 6-week commitment.<br>
Do you know people who have been at Steinhardt's 3-week program? Any imput would be helpful!!!</p>

<p>Since my posts #3 & 4 from four years ago, there have been significant changes to the UArts summer programs. The 4 week UArts summer MT and acting programs, open to rising h.s. juniors and seniors, have been redesigned to track a “mini” experience of the school’s BFA programs both in terms of the admissions process and curricula. Admission now requires submission of h.s. transcripts as well as a video audition and the programs are designed for the serious high school performer who wants a preview of the professional training programs at UArts. Classes are scheduled 5 days a week, starting at 9:00am and going continuously until 9:00pm, including rehearsals, with breaks for lunch and dinner. On Saturdays, students attend professional productions. Acting and MT students get 6 hours/wk of core acting studio with additional acting specialization and performance classes for each track. MT students also get voice and dance while acting students get movement and speech. The programs are taught by regular UArts faculty from the BFA programs and students receive 3 college credits. Here is a link for more info. And there is also now a required meal plan for students. [UArts</a> Continuing Studies : Curriculum + Core Classes](<a href=“http://cs.uarts.edu/summerinstitute/theater/curriculum-core-classes#Schedule]UArts”>http://cs.uarts.edu/summerinstitute/theater/curriculum-core-classes#Schedule)</p>

<p>Is that still the case? I can’t find any mention of an audition on the web site. [Summer</a> Institute : Theater : Tuition + Admissions | The University of the Arts](<a href=“http://www.uarts.edu/academics/pre-college-programs/summer-institute-theater-tuition-admissions#ApplicationRequirements]Summer”>http://www.uarts.edu/academics/pre-college-programs/summer-institute-theater-tuition-admissions#ApplicationRequirements)
Is there maybe another program that’s different from the one above? I’m so confused by their web site!</p>

<p>^ remember you’re replying to a post that’s a couple of years old. You might want to ask your question on the MT forum or the Drama Majors forum.</p>

<p>Will do, thanks! I found the right brochure and apparently there was no audition last year. This year’s info isn’t out yet.</p>

<p>If you private message me, I can give you some advice on a housing option that may enable you to go to CAP 21.</p>

<p>DD just did the program this summer and there was no audition.</p>