Pre-Med at George Washington University

Hi all,
i spent like an hour trying to find the answer to my question and didnt, so im just gonna add to the heap of forums

1. Does anyone do pre-med at GWU, or does anyone know anything about pre-med at GWU?
  2. Is it easier to get into their med school if u do undergrad there?
  3. If I were to do pre-med there, should I apply to honors college (also if yes to this question, is it okay if i apply freshman year... cuz im submitting my app tomorrow and theres no way im writing 2 more essays)?
  4. Would I do well there if I currently have a 3.8 weighted GPA (probs 3.3 unweighted) at a competitive high school in NJ?

Of course people do pre-med there. Remember, it isn’t a major, it is just a bunch of classes. Run a search at their website for pre-med advisor and for pre-med program. Uou will find something.

There won’t be much of an edge, if any, for admissions to their med school. You would be competing against students from all over the country.

No idea about the honors college issue. You need to ask them.

I believe there is a program where you can apply early admission to the GWSOM after your sophomore year. If accepted you need to have a certain GPA and no C’s or lower in science classes in order to successfully attend GWSOM without taking the MCAT. However I would definitely recommend GWU for pre-med because they have a hospital ON campus (SO convenient) multiple hospitals nearby (Gtown Childrens Med…etc) if you want to experience different hospitals, a larger commitment to the sciences (as shown by the new-ish Science and Engineering Building), and even eMerg, where you can become an EMT at GWU.

I would also say (contrary to the first poster) that you do have an edge IF you show commitment to the med school. That means engaging in research with the doctors at the GW Hospital, shadowing them, getting to know them personally, volunteering at the hospital…basically doing ALL that you can to contribute to their hospital and medical program. Then I definitely believe that they will see your passion and contribution towards their community.

Honestly, college and HS are too different to gauge whether you would do well or not. If you maintain good study habits and time-management skills (which is rough cause college is SO busy) then you are bound to do ok. However, even if you do hit the harder courses like Orgo and don’t do well, it’s not the end of the world. What matters most is that you persevere with a strong mindset, engage in your passions, enjoy your college years, and try your best! Pre-med is really hard and tough, and as a fellow pre-med IDK how I’m going to survive, but just keep on pushing through!

If it doesn’t work out GW has a post-grad program where you can take pre-med courses after you graduate and apply to their med school again (of course this has much higher chances since you chose to apply to GW’s program probably with an interest in their med school)

I don’t know if you should apply to honors–it’s up to you! I would say don’t try to overload yourself even if you want to improve your resume. If you think you’re not going to like the program, then don’t do it. Only do the things that you truly like, which will shine more than just doing random things you don’t like.

This is exactly right. I had several classmates of mine go from GW undergrad to GW Med School. The difference was how involved they were with both the hospital and the faculty at the med school (many teach undergrad courses as well).

And I echo @Sassygogo with respect to the Honors Program: do it if you want to and would enjoy the challenge. However, it’s definitely an extra load and I don’t know if it will necessarily help your chances getting into med school. You might be better off spending your extra time getting A’s in your other classes and getting involved in EMeRG (the campus EMT’s) and research projects of the med school faculty.

hi there! thanks for the post, I had the same questions!! I still can’t seem to find the undergrad premed program on their website though, only the premed-post bacc and pre-health advising, but no program description for the undergraduate premed program (which I just applied to a few days ago, lol). I also applied to the honors college. let me know if you find out any more information on the premed program, I’d love to hear!

@alilaura There is no premed “program.” If anything, it’s more of a concentration, but a loose one at that. The only special thing that the University provides with respect to those pursuing medical school is a pre-med adviser (available to anyone).