Pre-med at U of Miami!

<p>I have finally paid my enrollment and will be attending the University of Miami as a freshman this fall. I feel like UM has a lot of hidden treasures and opportunities that you need to know about to take advantage of.</p>

<p>As a pre-med student, is there any advice you have for me? Any professors I should take/avoid in science classes, any activities or clubs I should participate in? Which is the closets hospital/best hospital to shadow at? How do I get involved in research? In reference to my first semester, should I take bio and chem or stick with just one science for a smooth transition?</p>

<p>Any advice of insight for a future pre-med would help. Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>So glad to hear that you’re definitely attending! I know I’ve seen your posts around the board and that Miami was one of your prospects, so it’s exciting to see one more jump into the class of 2016! :D</p>

<p>Yes I’ve been ambivalent about it for a while but I know UM is where I am meant to be! Finally took the jump lol</p>

<p>Take Dr. Wilson’s BIL150 class in the Fall. I’m a junior, and he remains my favorite professor (though a few compete quite closely!) I also recommend Symbolic Logic with Dr. Lewis. He’s another one of my favorite professors, a really great guy all around, and the course will help you with every subsequent course that you take (and it’s not too hard, either). South Miami Hospital is a good place to volunteer. The metro stops near there, but it’s also a 20 minute walk from campus if you don’t mind walking. For research, you can apply at the undergraduate research office in the biology building. In your position, I would personally only take biology. That having been said, I think the wise thing to do is to take biology and chemistry if you feel like you can handle it. Then again, that might be a heavy enough load that you won’t have time for much else, so it might not be the best idea. But chemistry is something you want to do early, because it requires a total of 4 semesters (2 years) of work.</p>

<p>Are you going to be here tomorrow for the accepted students open house? If so, a lot of your questions should be answered then.</p>

<p>Thank you for the reply rankinr!
What an odd coincidence, I was actually looking at bio classes this fall and looked up dr.wilson on rate my professor and decided I wanted to take his class! It’s nice to have assurance that he’s a good teacher. I’ll look into South Miami since its not to far (my main concern)</p>

<p>I will be at the accepted students day tomorrow. I didn’t know that they would touch upon these topics! Thanks again for your insight!</p>

<p>There’s actually a whole premed session where you’ll get to ask the premed advisor questions (and talk with her one-on-one afterwards, if you’d like). See you (maybe) tomorrow!</p>

<p>Oh wow that sounds perfect! Look forward to (possibly) seeing you too lol</p>