Pre-med program?

<p>What is the Pre-medical program at Alabama like? Does it produce high medical school acceptance?</p>

<p>I don’t know what the acceptance rate is but I do know UA premeds are found in some of the best med schools in the country. Obviously, most of them end up at UAB or South Alabama.</p>

<p>[The</a> University of Alabama Health Professions Advising Website](<a href=“http://www.premed.ua.edu/]The”>http://www.premed.ua.edu/)</p>

<p>Not sure what you mean by “pre-med program”. That phrase gets thrown around a lot, but schools don’t really have “pre-med programs”. </p>

<p>Schools (and Bama) have:</p>

<p>Pre-med advising office
courses that fulfill the pre-med pre-reqs
Committee Letters (not all schools do these, but Bama does).</p>

<p>Schools don’t “produce” high med acceptance. Student performance is what determines med school acceptance rates (cumGPA, BCMP GPA, MCAT scores, medically related ECs, etc). Bama students do have a high acceptance rate. However, a school doesn’t “cause” that. A school doesn’t get its students into med schools. </p>

<p>Acceptance rates can be misleading. If a school (like Bama) says that it has a 85% acceptance rate, then all that means is that of those who actually end up applying, 85% get accepted to at least 1 MD school. </p>

<p>Acceptance rates do NOT tell you what your chances are as an incoming freshman. ALL SCHOOLS have hundreds of kids claiming to be premed as incoming frosh. As the semesters go on, kids change their minds because of grades and interest and/or MCAT scores. When it comes time to apply to med schools, only about 25% of the original pre-med group is still “premed” . This is true for all schools, not just Bama. </p>

<p>All schools heavily “weed out” their premed and STEM students to discourage kids who don’t have what it takes to proceed. </p>

<p>So, if 400 frosh are premed, by the time it comes to apply to med school, only about 100 are still premed. Of that 100, about 80-85 will have at least 1 US MD acceptance. </p>

<p>My son completed the apps for 6 med schools and was accepted to 3. He’s starting med school in August.</p>

<p>M2CK, which school did your son decide on?</p>

<p>What did your son major in?</p>

<p>We attended the “Pre-Med Info Session” back in January. As the head advisor so aptly pointed out, stats for med school acceptance can be skewed however way one wishes. In his words, “I could say that 100 % of all pre med students that played a woodwind in the band were accepted to med school.” It was an excellent info session.</p>