Pre Med

<p>Okay so i originally applied to UM just to major in biology. But now i feel like i made huge mistake because i want to go into the pre med program. The reason i did not was because i know my test scores a little low and i dont believe i could even get into that program. Now everyone is tellinh me UM Pre Med is the best and they have an amazing program. Well is there anything i can do now to get into that program?</p>

<p>Don’t worry about it, the major you declare when you apply to UM doesn’t mean too much. Applying as a biology major means you’ve applied to the college of arts and sciences, which also hosts the pre-med program, so the requirements will be identical. Some people say the requirements differ across schools (like, marine science vs arts and sciences) but from my experience this isn’t the case, or if it is the differences tend to be minor.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that you can major in biology AND be on a pre-med track. Pre-med is not a major here, it just refers to a group of courses you need to take during your time here. You need to get a separate major (and minor) from this.</p>

<p>And the message of the day is… Happiness + Apples = Happles! (<a href=“http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/18500000/DON-T-WORRY-BE-HAPPY-random-18555245-500-390.jpg[/url]”>http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/18500000/DON-T-WORRY-BE-HAPPY-random-18555245-500-390.jpg&lt;/a&gt;)</p>

<p>As rankinr said: premed here (and mostly anywhere) is a track, not a major. Designating yourself as premed is quite easy, you only have to fill out a file and attend a premed group session.</p>

<p>The hard part is keeping up your GPA.</p>

<p>Also, as rankinr said: all you have to do to be able to apply to medschool is complete certain courses, which are generally the same across med schools. Biology is a great major to be in for said courses. (Most premeds are Biology majors)</p>

<p>Ditto what has been said- Go with your major and do well. Get a 3.6 minimum upon graduation and start thinking about how you are going to score above a 30 on the MCAT. Concentrate on your science classes and you are as good as gold as a pre-med major at the U.</p>