Pre-Med

<p>If I plan on taking pre-med track in Madison, which college would I apply to? </p>

<p>I think that depends on your intended major - the most common choice is probably the College of Letters & Science.</p>

<p>Premed is an intention, not a major. There is NO premed track. Look at the UW site for the premedical advice. </p>

<p>You can choose any major you wish. You will need to meet medical schools’ prerequisites so you need to take some science courses. Which versions of these offered by UW will depend on your interests and chosen major. Many choose STEM majors since they are most interested in them, a side effect being most majors also help meet medical school admissions requirements. But- if you also have other passions or interests by all means indulge in them now. Medical schools realize people are multidimensional.</p>

<p>Use your college time to major in something you want to know in depth, not because it will be useful to a physician. Take as many courses in subjects that you can’t get in medical school- use your credits for arts, music, history, philosophy, languages, literature instead of trying to learn material which is presented in medical school. As a physician I have never regretted taking the diverse courses that interested me in my college days. </p>

<p>Be aware that most students entering with medical school intentions will either change their minds or not get in. Therefore choose a major you actively enjoy and could use for your career. </p>

<p>You apply to (and get accepted to) the university as a whole, regardless of your intended major or future career. A few majors are available in more than one school/college- eventually if you decide on one of those you will choose which degree requirements you feel are best for you. Likewise you can get a BA or BS in any L&S major- the foreign language and science requirements will differ. I got a BA with Honors in Chemistry because I liked it- I met the requirements for both a BA and a BS. You will find several general chemistry courses available to you. You state a major now to be assigned the most appropriate advisor in summer orientation (SOAR). You can change your major at any time.</p>

<p>You will learn a lot about how things work once you are in college. For now, concentrate on being accepted. You can change your major at any time at UW so you have plenty of time for that decision. Since you are interested in science and medicine your first semester/year’s courses will be straight forward and allow room for breadth requirement meeting electives.</p>

<p>Thank you so much! That was extremely helpful. The only subjects that ever interested me in school were science classes, chemistry and biology to be specific. So when I’m applying to Madison, they wont take into account my major or school I am applying to? That’s not a determinant factor right? And since I am interested in Biology and Chemistry and end up majoring in biochemistry, which school would that apply to? </p>

<p>Correct- it does not matter what you intend to major in. Biochemistry is in both the Ag school and L&S. It won’t matter your freshman year which one you choose. The graduation requirements are slightly different for those two schools, that will ultimately determine which degree you choose. For Chemistry (I still get my yearly Badger Chemist and have looked at how they still number courses) you will need to determine which of 3 different courses to take. That’s a next summer decision. Be warned- the non-Honors courses can be as difficult as the Honors ones. For Chemistry it will depend on you ability and background- something you and an advisor discuss. For biology courses you may want to wait until you have taken some Organic Chemistry to be eligible for the Biocore sequence instead of taking a 100 level course. For Biochemistry you’ll choose once you have college classes and will know the system. </p>

<p>Remember you do need to do well in courses you don’t especially like so keep learning the other areas as well. Take time your senior year to enjoy it as well. Apply to colleges you would enjoy attending, keep open to options other than UW.</p>

<p>Thank you. And yes, I know, but Madison is my number 1 for now. You said that the school I choose with ultimately determine my major, but if biochemistry is in both of them, then how does it vary between the two?</p>

<p>Do your homework. Time to get familiar with UW’s website yourself. Look up the requirements for a major and the graduation requirements for the various schools of interest. I have found UW’s site very easy to navigate. You should also look up the premed help there. Also check on the L&S Honors Program.</p>