Pre-screen requirements and auditions for Music Production program at USC

I’d love to hear from others applying to USC Thornton school of music for Music Production. Thoughts on application materials, audition. Any wisdom out there? My son is a rising senior in North Carolina and will be applying in December.

I looked over all the application requirements for first year applicants, including those specific to music production" Music Production | USC Thornton School of Music (Posting for others who might help.)

Since we don’t know anything about your son’s musical background or work, it is hard to comment. Is he able to submit:

• A 1-3 minute video introduction of yourself at your work-station. On this video, please tell us about your prior experience with musical instruments and music technology; provide a description of your private studio work-space; and relate your experience, if any, of producing recordings.
  • A 2-3 minute video of a performance of a song from existing popular music repertoire. The video performance may be self-accompanied, accompanied by other musician(s) or by a band (as long as the applicant is prominently featured). Pre-recorded accompaniment is acceptable. If the applicant does not play a conventional instrument, a performance where the applicant manipulates sound in real time using a controller or other similar device is acceptable.
  • 3 audio recordings, of which at least one is an original work, which demonstrate the applicant’s audio recording, MIDI sequencing and production skills. In the “Additional details” section of your Slideroom media upload, please indicate how your work is represented in the production of each audio submission. (for example: songwriter, arranger, singer, instrumentalist, MIDI sequencer, engineer, audio/MIDI editor, or mixer, etc.)

Is your son more interested in creative compositional work, or technical studio training, or contemporary music or all of the above? Does he have teachers? Will he be submitting optional letters of recommendation as well as required?

1 Like

My D made it to their Grammy Camp last year in Music Production, was encouraged to apply, prepared reasonably strong material (she’s recorded and produced her own music for a number of years in her home studio and knows Logic Pro really well), and didn’t even make it to the audition stage. It seems the admission rate is below 1% (a disclaimer: I don’t have the actual statistics) to this particular program so while it is certainly worth to put all his heart into it, other Music Production programs, from Miami, to Belmont U, to NYU, are worth a careful look.

I can send you a list of music production programs.

1 Like

Thank you! He’s open to learning everything. He loves to create original work and is enjoying learning Ableton-he’s been at it for over a year. He’s attended a music technology camp last summer and will attend again this summer. His primary instruments are brass- trombone, euphonium, baritone. He is in wind ensemble and marching band as well as a community traditional brass band.
We were attracted to USC for location- he wants to be in LA because “that’s where it’s happening” and he will likely be a national merit finalist.

I would love that-thank you!

Thank you for letting me know. I’ve seen the stats-they certainly are daunting. Did your daughter apply elsewhere?

I think it is the next level of selectiveness when you only have about 8 spots available…
My D received her Thornton rejection at the same time when Pomona College said ‘yes’ to her ED1 so music production will be her hobby, rather than her profession, at least for now.
Good luck!

1 Like

While not as well known, Occidental College has a strong music production program and emphasizes its interaction with the Los Angeles music industry. Might be worth a look.

2 Likes

Thank you, we’ll check it out!

Sent you the list which is by no means complete.

Are you sure he doesn’t want to study composition? USC film scoring is a grad program that requires undergrads to do composition (plus work on digital audio work stations). “Classical” composition may involve electronic/electroacoustic work, sonic art, computer music…

He can attend a music school (conservatory or school of music usually) for a BM in music production, studio production, music technology, music for new media, composition or whatever (terminology varies soooo much, you have to really delve into details). That would mean an immersive program with 2/3-3/4 classes in music.

He could also go to a college/LAC or university and do a BA in music, which may or may not have a performance component but would most likely have some classes in production and definitely in music tech., and then do music with lessons, a mentor, and in extracurriculars.

The Double Degree Dilemma essay in the Read Me thread might be helpful.

I think a lot of kids avoid composition because 1) they think of Mozart et al, 2) they don’t have access to high level musicians so “daws” are the resource and 3) they don’t have the theory background etc. Many schools, including Harvard, are opening up their curricula to give more access to kids who haven’t done the conservatory prep path.

I am PM’ing you a second time on this…

Late to the party, but my son also applied to USC and did not get an audition. Also passed over by U Mich PAT (which he was not all that excited about anyway). Did not apply to NYU despite some arm-twisting because we practically live next door. Applied and got into Drexel and Northeastern. Will be attending Northeastern in the fall.

2 Likes

Could you send me that lis to all the music production programs too? Got a junior who is interested

1 Like

Off the top of my head and in no particular order:
USC-Thornton
UCLA-Herb Alpert
Miami-Frost
Occidental
Loyola Marymount LA (Recording Arts concentration in Film & Television)
Loyola Marymount in New Orleans
Syracuse
Drexel
Northeastern
NYU-Clive Davis
NYU-Steinhardt
CalArts
American
DePaul
The New School
Berklee College of Music
UC San Diego
San Diego State
Clark
Ithaca

Sorry I missed this! Let e know if you still want the list.