Preemptive Tutor?

Exactly. Part of learning in college is understanding the material and “how” to apply and do the problems. Tutors help facilitate learning but certainly are not on speed dial during exams. My daughter was an athlete in college. Day one they provided her with tutoring for all of her engineering classes and set-up mandatory study hours. Fast forward to junior year and she no longer needed the tutors, was able to get enough help with office hours, and working with the professors.

2 Likes

12 credits per semester would be a path to needing 10 semesters to reach 120 credits typically needed to graduate (some colleges or majors need more credits to graduate). An average of 15 or 16 is typically needed to graduate in 8 semesters, though there may be some majors or multiple major combinations that need more, while applicable AP credit may cover some lower level courses.

1 Like

Not sure how this thread became wanting a tutor but make sure they aren’t doing the work thread?? :thinking:… I have never seen a tutor do that. If you need extra help for your kid sure then get one but I would grab a graduate student since they all need money and would be familiar with the school and maybe professors there.

Can we focus on the OP’s question on tutors please instead of unasked questions about course loads.

2 Likes

A tutor can’t sit a test for you, and tests typically count for a very large proportion of a grade.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your responses and perspectives. You all have given me a lot to consider. I do think one of the categories which we may add when doing our pros and cons concerning individual colleges on our college list is, “What academic support systems are offered and accessible at the school?”

2 Likes

I think you need to be clear that you are not inquiring about the disabilities office (unless you need that too). You want to know what services are available to ANY student who might want some extra help.

5 Likes

Yes. I agree.

1 Like

@NewtK, my experience is different from the earlier poster who believed that hiring tutor was against school policy. Letting the tutor do the student’s work would, of course, violate honor codes, but I don’t think that is what you have in mind.

One is ridiculously bright and severely dyslexic. He was able to get significant support from his school. But the other is very bright and quite anxious in a way that looks very much like ADHD (which she probably also exhibits). But, I believe we hired a tutor frin the get-go for a course or two that we suspected she would have difficulty with and through the school, she found a tutor who helped her with organization and planning – but who knew her course of study and let her know what the big challenges were. The good news is that over time, she was able to master the work and the organizational work without support.

3 Likes