Preparation for getting accepted into dental school

I am an undergrad student at my state college, majoring Bio. I graduated with a 3.3 gpa from a distinguished, Private Catholic high school as a 3 sport varsity athlete. Everyone thought it would be a reach for me to want to become a dentist. I just completed my first semester and struggled a bit to the new workload and balancing club rugby. I stopped playing club rugby to fix up my grades. I was able to end the semester with a B- in Biology. C+ in Chemistry. B+ in Spanish. Passed the UNIV- university class. I had to Audit Listen my Pre-Calc class. That means This got me a 2.66. But currently, I am taking a winter session easy Theater class that covers requirements. By getting an A in that, I would be ending first semester with a 2.99 gpa.

While on winter break I have been shadowing a Dentist for 2 hours a day and getting patient interaction/ shadow hours. Commuting to the theater class. And relearning pre-calcus for next semester.

With that being said, I would like to know what I should be doing on my own to get into dental school. I have been keeping contact with my counselors, and speaking with my parents. For second semester I am aiming for a 3.5 gpa and going to be a better student.

What should I do on my own to strengthen my chances on being accepted into a dental school? Any particular summer jobs? What type of volunteering? Anything during the school year? What should I do to practice manual dexterity?

I have been told by adults I have great people skills. I can speak, and hold a conversation confidently to strangers.

I am very determined to achieve this dream of becoming a dentist. I want to set my self up for a good future, make myself proud, make my family proud, and help people with their oral care.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. And sorry for the long paragraph, but I figured more info was better than little. Thank you!

Right now, your primary goal should be to raise your GPA. Study diligently, make use of your study/tutoring center, join a study group. Dental schools look not only at your overall GPA, but also your science GPA.

You can join your school’s pre-dent club or volunteer at a free dental clinic in your area. But most of your time should be focused on your classes and getting better grades. Many dental schools start sorting applications by GPA, sGPA, and DAT scores. ECs and dental interest come after. If you don’t have the grades and test scores, your ECs won’t matter, because you won’t get to the interview level.