Preparing a Seminar

<p>I got an idea to prepare a seminar for the some of the blakc juniors at my school before they take the act so they'll know they need to do the best they can and know what kind of position they'll be in when they start filling in college apps. Also, so they won't make some of the same mistakes I did. So, my question is..</p>

<p>Is there anything you guys wished you had known earlier that you do now? If so, what is it?
And what would you say is the biggest advantage of being black in the college admissions process?</p>

<p>For the ACT, the most obvious tip I can think of is that if you realize there’s only a minute left, Christmas tree the remaining questions that you know you won’t be able to answer.
Oh and for the science section, READ for everything since all of the answers are literally on the page. </p>

<p>“Is there anything you guys wished you had known earlier that you do now? If so, what is it?”</p>

<p>There are fee waivers for both the ACT and SAT, and the colleges I applied for accepted copies of them as application and admissions deposit waivers. </p>

<p>“And what would you say is the biggest advantage of being black in the college admissions process?”</p>

<p>I haven’t experienced any benefits that I know of, but admissions officers really try to point out how diverse the school is when they find out you’re black… </p>

<p>Oh and this is something I learned from experience: Do as much of your college applications in the summer so you don’t have to focus on schoolwork and applications at the same time. When I got to school in August, I only had to have my transcripts and SAT scores forwarded. So many of my peers waited until recently to even start their apps only to find that they had missed the deadlines or only had a few days to complete them along with whatever homework they have.
Basically, KNOW AND MEET YOUR DEADLINES.</p>

<p>Bump. Anyone else have any special resources that they used or any other special tactics, etc.?</p>

<p>Bump for anyone else? I still need more advice from others. THe more, the better. Anything helps.</p>