Preread results taking a long time

I sent in my preread two weeks ago and the coach and I talked after that, but he has not gotten back to me since then. Is there any chance he has just forgotten about me.

Email and call him - and ask.

We can’t read minds.

It could be held up in admissions. He could be busy with coach stuff.

Do your best to get a hold of him.

Good luck.

1 Like

He said he can’t give me coaches support does that mean he doesn’t think I’m a good enough athlete

I’m not a mind reader. You should have asked him.

But it’s not going to happen so move to the next.

1 Like

I am answering based on the coach having been supportive previously of the pre read.

It would appear that your pre read led to admissions concluding you wouldn’t be a good academic fit (or such a reach that the coach didn’t view it as sensible). Consequently the coach is not offering support as it would be “wasted” because it would not lead to an acceptance.

Sorry that it worked out this way! Hang in there. As an athlete I am sure you have faced adversity previously. As a coach once said to me it’s not if you get knocked down but how quickly and effectively you get back up. Get yourself into a rival school and make the coach regret the outcome but more importantly thrive academically wherever you land.

4 Likes

Could be athletic or academic fit. Or he just has other recruits higher on the list. Thank him for his time and move to your other options.

2 Likes

No that, but there are others who are better/faster/etc.

Assume that the coach asked admissions for pre-reads on 25 recruits, but in the end can only support 5. Assume that 15 of those 25 are committing elsewhere. You have 10 recruits for 5 places. Of the 5 that will not be provided support, it could be either: 1) the recruit was given a red light by admissions (or a yellow light, but admissions gave 5 others a straight up green light); 2) the recruit was not ranked as high athletically as the 5 that will be supported; 3) a couple of awesome D1 level recruits drop into the coach’s lap, pushing other recruits down on the list; or 4) a particular need for a team counsels the coach to support a different recruit.

Remember, this is not always a matter of “who is the best.” A coach could pick a kid with loads of speed and potential skills over a “finished product” because the team is full and the coach wants an athlete to develop on the practice field. Or, a team might have a need for a particular position. Keep talking to coaches and looking for teams.

Good luck.

3 Likes