Presidential for 2017-18

I just saw that Alabama has announced changes in reduction to their Engineering scholarships. Has anyone heard there is a chance they may be increasing required stats for the regular Presidential scholarship to higher than 32 ACT/3.5 GPA? Their website does not yet have scholarship information for the the class of 2017.

^^^ That was announced a while ago and has been discussed here on other threads.

No one can know for sure if there will be any changes to the Presidential Scholarship requirements until the scholarships are announced. I always caution parents and students to try and aim higher than a 32 ACT score, just in case and to take the SAT test In addition (some students do better on one test than the other). Although, I am not familiar with the new SAT test and scoring platform.

However, I doubt that the top required score will change this year. That is just my opinion and observation, but I do think that the levels will be changing eventually.

Any idea when Alabama posts scholarship requirements for upcoming seniors? Is it usually when application opens in August?

@MCardella they had 2016-2017 info posted in July when applications open on July 7th so I wouldn’t expect those dates to change for updates.

Thank you! We are scheduled to visit mid-June, excited to show our son the school!

Apparently the new SAT scores don’t align exactly with the old SAT. I think I read a 1500 now is comparable to a 1460 CR/M in the past, so UA may feel compelled to adjust the requirements.

Historically, Bama has only looked at single-sitting CR/M scores (i.e., no super-scoring) for scholarship eligility, so the update may not affect Bama’s requirements, but it’s something to be aware of, although I think only about a quarter of students submit SATs. Most are submitting the ACT.

@LucieTheLakie 'Bama has added something to their website saying that the SAT scores may be adjusted. They will have to be or a lot of people will be taking the SAT and going to 'Bama for free

Thanks for that info, @EarlVanDorn. Here’s the note:

Out-of-state: http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/out-of-state.html
In-state: http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/in-state.html

I hope they don’t adjust the ACT up… My son took it last year and got a 32 so he thought he was done.

@MichiganGeorgia Looks like the ACT will stay the same with the exception that the writing portion is no longer required for admission. Congrats on your sons score.

“Scholarships for the 2017-2018 academic year are pending review and approval by the administration but we are expecting some changes. It is possible that we will not have final approval until mid-July.”

@MCardella - This is the response my son just got back from UA about the 32 ACT and 3.5 GPA for Presidential next year… I’m thinking my son may need to study and take it again…

As the program currently stands, the difference between a 31 and a 32 is a $34,600 point. Incredible.

@MichiganGeorgia Your son cannot be harmed by taking the test again (and again) and making a bad score. When taking it, just don’t list any colleges to receive it. Then, if you like the score you can pay the $16 to send it.

It’s better to have a higher score and not need it than to need a higher score and not have it.

So, according to the note in #7 above, a 1450 on the new SAT would be needed for the 2017-18 presidential scholarship?

@Zekesima That is not how I read the note. The note is directed to those that have taken both the old and new SAT. If you only took the new SAT, a 1450 is a 1450. If you took both, use the concordance table to determine which score is higher and submit that one. Alabama does not require all scores.

@EarlVanDorn - true. Except I would rather that he study and take some CLEP tests instead of studying for the ACT…

Oh lord, should i be nervous? I have a New SAT 1400 on the dot… I thought i was good but maybe not. If a change is coming, will i have to wait until july to find out when admissions open up? Any more insight is greatly appreciated

^^ I would plan on testing again. You might want to run your score through a concordance table to get a sense of how your 1400 on the new SAT equates to the old SAT. I would not count on a new SAT 1400 being enough for the Presidential, though.

^^ If you run a new 1400 it’s a 1340. So I think you need to test again…

We were confused about the bama SAT statement as well - my Ds guidance counselor seems to think that the message means that she will need the 1450 on the NEW SAT to equate to the 1400 on the old (and the scholarship). She is not waiting for the July announcement, she is taking the June ACT and hoping that they don’t change that cut of. She is currently getting 33C regularly and sometimes a 34C/35C on practice tests. She is hoping that the actual test gets her high enough – Bama is first on her list.

Being in the same boat as you @gavin2525 , we are opting to test again.