Presidential Scholarship -- Binding or not?

My daughter filled out the scholarship app today. We couldn’t find anywhere on admissions site where it clarified that you don’t need to send it for merit scholarships so she called the scholarship office. The woman she spoke to gave her same info previously posted. You don’t need to send it for merit but even if you don’t qualify for the ones listed on bottom half of app, there are other departmental scholarships that you will be considered for. She actually said to my daughter, “why wouldn’t you send it in? You have nothing to lose and money to gain.” Made sense to us.

That’s correct, the merit scholarships are based on the GPA for HS years 1 to 3 and the test score from either the ACT or SAT tests. However, other scholarships are available, and for those, you would need to fill out the scholarship application.

Also, whenever you speak with a representative from UA, note the date/time of your call and that person’s name for any future clarification. Personally, I like to followup with an email and keep the reply as reference material.

Again, I ask students and parents to reference the scholarship links and scholarship faqs page on UA’s website so that you are fully informed.

My daughter filled out the scholarship application each year and never got anything (other than her Presidential and CBH scholarships). But filling it out didn’t take much time, so even though she didn’t appear to qualify for anything listed, I think completing the application each year was the smart thing to do.