Presidential Scholarship Clarifications

Hello, all… my son received his scholarship letter yesterday and I was surprised it did not come with several pages of terms and disclosures. :slight_smile: I looked for a some comprehensive policy online but did not find it, so thought I would engage the good folks here who have more experience with UA than me. Here are my questions:

1. The scholarship letter lists a specific amount (total and per semester). It does not state that the scholarship is for the VALUE of tuition over eight semesters. So what happens if/when tuition rises in the next 4 years? Will we be on the hook for the difference?

2. The amount of the scholarship is equivalent to the cost of 12-16 credit hours per semester. What if my son decides to take 18 hours in a semester at some point? Also, the STEM to MBA program requires a 1.5 credit hour class per semester, for a total (I assume) of 16.5 hours. Will we have to pay the OOS tuition rate per credit hour for the overload, or will this scholarship cover overloads?

Thanks for your help!

No worries at all! The value of the scholarship goes up each year as tuition rises (I have a sophomore). Also, your student can get override from advisor to take 18 hours when needed and ALL of that tuition is covered by the Presidential! Congrats!

@amy9998 Excellent… thank you very much for the clear and helpful response!

Of note, my DD took 19.5 hours this semester and it was fully funded through the Presidential. You have to “prove” that you can handle the academics before overloading, but they will allow it. (The 1.5 over the 18hour limit was STEM MBA.) Note, if your additional hours require additional fees for labs, etc, those will appear on your bill.

The presidential increases with each tuition increase.

Also, the award is for UNLIMITED credits per semester. Your child could take 20 or more .

^ Post #3: “Note, if your additional hours require additional fees for labs, etc, those will appear on your bill.”

YES! And these can sometimes be substantial. PM me if you want our experience.

If you want the exact criteria for the Presidential Scholarship, outline all your questions in an email to the scholarship office. This way you will have all your answers in writing directly from the source.

OP congrats and Roll Tide. My DD is finishing her sophomore year with STEM MBA. What is your student going to study in STEM? One term my DD took 18.5 hours, but is hovering around 17.5 - it depends on the hours in her courses; she has taken one term at 15.5 and one term at 14.5. DD had some AP courses, but is also planning to take 3 extra classes to have two majors in her civil eng field.