Presidential Scholarship Requirements 2018-2019

Question about the new National Merit Package. I saw that it now includes four years of housing. Is that a stipend for housing that could be used off campus for housing for upper classmen? Or can it only be used on campus?

My son is still at a 24 on the ACT, so I don’t guess he will be attending Alabama. It’s nice that Alabama and Mississippi have great merit scholarships, but I don’t know of anybody at our school that has had a score that would qualify for any of the top scholarships.

@brentwoodmom ,
The housing stipend must be used on campus.

@brentwoodmom

https://scholarships.ua.edu/nationalscholars/

I don’t mean this to be anything but helpful, but I believe the ACT test can be improved upon greatly, and of course preparation and experience can help. A kid I coached improved from a 26 to a 34 with the help of books and tutoring (and I believe less anxiety taking the test a second time). Good luck! I just want to share my perspective, as improved ACT scores can help kids in many schools, not just UA.

Also… With the Presidential Elite… 4.0 is required. My son has 3.9410 UW and 5.2480 Weighted. Is that a strict 4.0 UW?

@SCMomofTwo
They used W GPA for my son when he had the Presidential Elite. UW was 3.9xxx, W was 4.2xxx.

They do indicate they use a weighted GPA in general.

do you have to apply for the scholarhship? I see that you have to submit an Alabama application and be accepted by 12/15. then it looks like there is a scholarship application? Is this needed for the automatic Presidential scholarship? Does the scholarship application have essays??

@LvMyKids2, as I recall, it was all automatic. Get the application in on time and you will receive the scholarship and be admitted to the Honors College. I believe you still have to fill out an application for the scholarships and HC, but they’re short and sweet.

With the 1600 SAT required for Presidential Elite, is that super-scored?

@TrendaLeigh - No, UA does not superscore. All of the score requirements are for a single sitting.