Presidential Scholarship

Does anyone happen to know if they are changing the amount for this scholarship for 2020-2021. I have a sophomore now who has full tuition and will have a freshman in the fall that is getting $26K a year. I have heard some people saying that Presidential was full tuition, so just wondering if some changes are coming?

It changed a little while ago. Presidential is now for a set amount, not full tuition.

It used to be full tuition, even if tuition increased.

Thanks @mom2collegekids, I new this and had heard people taking about them going back to full tuition. Just wanting to know if what i had heard was true. We have a 3rd hopefully going in 2021.

That would be great news!!!

We don’t usually find out about those changes till like May June or July

They have been changing it yearly. From full tuition to $25k to $26k. From 32 ACT to 33 ACT back down to 32 ACT.

I don’t think any decisions will be made until they see the yield from this year’s class.

Is there any new chatter about this? UA’s website still has the 2019-2020 info. My high stat S20 submitted his application this week.

From what some parents heard at Bama Bound, 2023 is a very large class, perhaps the largest so far.

@elodyCOH and @ShrimpBurrito , if the class of 2023 is that large, perhaps that won’t bode well for Class of 2024 scholarships. According to some groups I am in, the new scholarships were to be released ‘early’ July. That hasn’t happened. Makes you wonder if they are tweaking them.

I heard mid-August which is right around the corner

Merit info for class of 2020 has been posted. It looks like there aren’t any changes? I can’t find tuition rates for 2020, though.

https://scholarships.ua.edu/freshman/out-of-state/

Tracking GPA through December of the senior year is a change from previous years.

I see some genius moves here by the scholarship committee:

1. They were probably getting a lot of requests for merit from students with the necessary SAT/ACT scores but who had less than a 3.5 GPA. Now they have a published response to these queries.
  2. By establishing the GPA deadline at December of the student’s senior year they may require all students to submit their senior grade update in December. This could result in some students rescinding their offer of scholarship in February (by not sending in the updated grade report in January) and give admissions a better sense of how many students have continued interest in January.

Good Eyes, shrimp!!! have you seen tuition costs for 2020 and beyond? It’s a nice scholarship - yet as tuition goes up the scholarship stays the same, right?

That’s how I understand it, @bgbg4us

I just refreshed Bama’s cost of attendance page and it still has 2019 info. I’m sure it will be up soon.

Thanks @ShrimpBurrito I have been watching for the Merit updates . Looks like things didn’t get worse so all is good for D20!

@ShrimpBurrito The 2019 numbers didn’t get posted until recently. The 2020 numbers will not come out until next year. Expect approximately 3-4% increase from this year.