Presidential Scholarships

<p>Are there any other benefits of being a Presidential Scholar besides of course the scholarship?</p>

<p>How many Pres Scholars are there each year?
Do they interact with Pres Witt at all?
Any unique things they are a part of?</p>

<p>I forget what kind of scholar older S was, but they had a reception each semester just for them and there were some other elements. Just wondering if there is anything with the Presidential Scholarship.</p>

<p>^ not that I’m aware of. DS is one and it was purely monetary… awesome, but nothing more than that.</p>

<p>Last year, there were just under 500 Presidential Scholars who were freshmen. That number was probably higher for this fall (numbers aren’t out yet).</p>

<p>There isn’t a set number…all who apply by Dec 1 who have the stats get the $$.</p>

<p>I’m not aware of any specific interaction with Dr. Witt, however, my older son has had some interaction with Dr. Witt because of a group he belongs to. </p>

<p>I can’t think of anything “unique” Presidential scholars belong to. They probably all are in honors college, so there are those benefits. Probably nearly all of CBH and UFE kids are Presidential scholars or NMFs.</p>

<p>I forget what kind of scholar older S was, but they had a reception each semester just for them and there were some other elements.</p>

<p>Since there are probably 1500 or so Presidential scholars on campus at one time, I don’t think they really can do anything more unique for them. I can imagine that your older S’s school probably didn’t give away that many Presidential scholarships. I don’t think any other college gives this many away.</p>

<p>M2CK - just a curiosity question. Do you know how many of those Presidential Scholars are in-state and how many are OOS? I think it is amazing that UA has so many smart kids and is so willing to do what is takes to attract them. With that mind-set, the school has nowhere to go but up.</p>

<p>Do you know how many of those Presidential Scholars are in-state and how many are OOS?</p>

<p>Bama doesn’t break that out on their reports…</p>

<p>However, when you look at the fact that 43% of this fall’s freshmen were from OOS, that suggests to me that many of those kids are recipients of NMF, Presidential, and UA scholar scholarships. </p>

<p>However, Bama does have some full pay or “near full pay” OOS students. I met a few Calif families at Family Weekend and their engineering kids had ACT 28/29 or similar SATs, so not enough for a big scholarship. But they wanted to go to Bama because their net cost was about the same as a UC, and they probably also wanted the experience of a flagship and football, etc. They also knew they would get accepted and they knew that they could get into honors. </p>

<p>Between their university scholarships and their engineering scholarships, those kids were getting $5,000 per year in scholarships - which brought their OOS tuition costs down to about $15k per year plus room, board, etc.</p>