Presidential Village vs. Ridgecrest

Hello everyone,

I’m going to be a freshman honors this fall majoring in mechanical engineering.
Can anyone provide me with some insights about Presidential and Ridgecrest? What are the pros/cons of living in each?

I’ll start. Both are great! Pres is new-ish (Pres II is the newest dorm building). Pres is a little further from things (esp Pres II). There are diff layouts to the suites in the different buildings, so depending on the building you pick, check out this site to see them: http://housing.ua.edu/halls/. If you’re a girl, the bathroom might be a dealbreaker = smaller (with a triangle-shaped shower stall) in one of the layouts (the one with the suite bedrooms all 4 in a row). All of these buildings are very conveniently located for eng’g classes. If you will have a car, parking options might also be a deciding factor for you. Hopefully others will chime in here. Good luck with your decisions!

It depends upon which Ridgecrest you’re considering. Both towers of RCS have the same layout as Presidential and have regular size bathrooms and showers. RCS does not have the awkward and small triangular showers. The bedrooms are split with two bedrooms and a bathroom on each side of the living area. Presidential I an II have the same layout with the living area in the center. RCE and RCW have all four bedrooms on the same side. RCE and RCW have the smaller bathrooms and triangular showers. They also have different furniture than the RCS towers. The furniture in RCS and Presidential is more modern in my opinion. Some who live in RCE and RCW prefer it because they have a storage closet, but I am not a fan of those two buildings. Again, that’s going to be personal preference.

Presidential I opened last fall, so it has served for its second year this year. Presidential II opened this fall.

The RCS, RCE, and RCW buildings make up the Honors dorms, but in my opinion, it really doesn’t make any difference other than the fact that there are sometimes a few activities held there through the HC.

Its a matter of personal preference, but mine would choose Presidential II as a first choice, Presidential I as a second choice, and RCS third. There really isn’t much difference in the distance, at least not enough to make a difference in making a choice for us. You can’t really go wrong with any of the suite style dorms at the UA if that’s what you’re looking to select.

Thank you so much guys.
I’m also slightly worried that Pres might not be as tranquil for studying as one of the honors halls especially because it has a huge capacity and contains the community room.

Both have pros and cons. If you’re bringing a car, Ridgecrest is going to be a lot better. The deck is attached, Presidental’s is a couple blocks away. Both are fairly new. Ridgecrest is all Honors, but there are plenty of Honors kids in Presidental.

Presidental pros: Very close to gym, Gold 1 and 2 Bus lines, some bedrooms slightly bigger (Pres I).
Presidental cons: Further from dining hall and campus, parking not attached

Ridgecrest pros: Parking attached, closer to dining hall and campus
Ridgecrest cons: further from gym, only Gold 2 bus line

As far as studying goes, most people in Presidental study in their own rooms, no one really uses the common areas. A lot of people in Ridgecrest do it in the community rooms.

I can not speak to Presidential, but both of my Honors students have loved Ridgecrest East and West. My DD first chose RCW because it was smaller and had a larger common area in the suites. My DS chose RCE because he had heard his sister talk about the positives. My kids both loved the storage closet for storing luggage, boxes, etc. They loved that there were only 4 floors, great access to the parking garage, and access to the RCS courts/courtyard. My DS is 6’5" and he did fine in the smaller bathroom, but loved the amount of furniture and people he could put in his common area to watch Bama Sports! They are not partiers and preferred to be in the smaller quieter atmosphere of RCE and RCW. Each dorm has its advantages, so you will be fine with either choice!

My son chose RCE and is very happy there. He and his roommates love the large living room space. They have a TV and several gaming systems set up in there. He also likes to study in his own room so it is nice to be able to close the door and have a (semi) quiet study area. He is an engineering major as well. Lots of those in RCE. They are a pretty social group and hang out with the people in the suites near theirs.

RCE is conveniently located. Right next to Lakeside dining. Close to the new rec center- they go over and play soccer several nights a week. Close to all classes. Son walks to classes most days (unless he sleeps late and then he bikes). He has never been on a bus as far as I know.

For what its worth- I heard/read some negative things about the Presidentials early in the year. Sounded like it got pretty rowdy over there a few times. Haven’t heard as much since Christmas break so maybe fall grades were a wake-up call to some. I guess the difference is all honors in the RC’s vs some honors scattered here and there in the Presidentials. If you decide to go that route, you might want to consider choosing roommates who are also in honors/engineering.

I lived in RCE this year, and it would be my top choice if I lived on campus again. I can’t give much insight on Pres, but I know that RCE is closer to most things. There’s a nice little lake behind RCE, and the little triangle showers aren’t that bad…just had to learn how to shave with no seat in the shower haha. RCW is the same layout. RCS is similar but bigger and has the courtyard. I stayed in South for Bama Bound and didn’t sleep for two nights because the light from the courtyard is so bright and there were people hanging out and playing basketball out there. None of my friends living there seem to have an issue with that though. My south friends always come over to east because their living room is too small to accommodate our whole friend group. The Gold 2 bus picks up right in front of East, and it’s a very short walk to lakeside dining, where the Gold 1 stops near. If you have any questions specific to the Ridgecrests I’d be happy to answer!

With all dorms, we can recommend the room-darkening curtains hung from a tension rod (use a sturdy rod used for small shower stalls, rather than a thin/skinny one used for ‘cafe’ curtains).