Primary language and ethnicity question.

<p>Hello :) I have a question that has been bothering me for a while. I am applying to Marymount University and the application asks me what is my primary language followed by what other language are you fluent in. Thing is I have always considered my "default" language to be English, I was born and I finished school in Puerto Rico, but I always spoke English with friends, listened to English music, watched English TV, I think in English, etc. I want to put my primary language as English and then Spanish as the other language I'm fluent in. But my family makes it seem like I am committing a HUGE crime by doing that...If I do it I won't let them know, but, I am worried, does saying my primary language is English when I was born in a place where Spanish is the primary language affect my application somehow?</p>

<p>Another thing related to that, I want to leave the Race/Ethnicity thing blank, I always do, but again, my family insists on filling the ethnicity part, because "it will help me with grants and aids" (I don't like the label, but I could use some help, like grants etc.) is this true at all? I just don't relate at all to the "Hispanic" label, even, not to stereotype, but if you looked at me, you'd never guess I was born in PR. I just see myself as an American citizen like anyone else, but label-less, universal you could say. Does any of this affect my getting accepted? I'm caught between what I have always felt like and what my family thinks....</p>

<p>I apologize if moving your thread here bothers you, but this is the place were there is the most knowledge of college admissions for (possibly) Hispanic applicants.</p>

<p>I must be getting senile because I can see where they ask if your first language was English, but not about fluency in other languages. Not that it necessarily matters for your questions.</p>

<p>I don’t think that writing down English as your first language will necessarily affect your application, however Hispanic ethnicity is a factor in college admissions, particularly for MA and PR candidates as these are the Hispanic backgrounds that are most underrepresented in US colleges.</p>

<p>Last name, physical features, language spoken–none of these things are relevant factors in being Hispanic. They may be relevant factors for how some people stereotype Hispanics, but they are not for the definition of Hispanic used by colleges. Hispanics don’t ‘look’ a certain way, they can be, and ARE, of any race(s). Think about it: AA Hispanics from the DR; Alberto Fujimori, ex-president of Peru; MA & Ecuadorians, many of whom are mestizo with Amerindian ancestory; even PRs & Argentines who are mostly white racially:</p>

<p><a href=“https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2075.html[/url]”>https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/2075.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I’m trying to wrap my head around why you can’t be an ‘American citizen like anyone else’, and be of Hispanic heritage, where’s the disconnect? IMO it’s because you’ve bought into the stereotype that ignorant people have perpetuated.</p>

<p>Yes, Hispanic ethnicity can impact merit aid, there are some scholarships (see the Resources sticky thread) that are only for Hispanic applicants. </p>

<p>Please take the time to read some of the threads on this forum and become more familiar with the facts and reality of college admissions for Hispanic students if you chose to check the box.</p>

<p>What I meant is that I dislike being labeled, racially or culturally, and that I feel that I don’t belong to any label because I feel part of the world as a whole, but chose to identify as American since that’s my citizenship. I am sorry for bringing up stereotypes. I just dislike how minority groups chose to segregate themselves and behave true to the stereotypes. </p>

<p>Somehow I feel that by checking Hispanic I am putting myself among those people who segregate themselves, who treat their being Hispanic as being a different race and who are obsessed with being really cultural (and treat that culture like a sacred thing), when I am none of those. …I guess you could say I am silly lol</p>

<p>Anyway, I will put English as my primary language because I feel it is that way, and because living in the US that’s the language I primarily use. However, even if I dislike labels, I guess will check the Hispanic ethnicity bubble since at the moment I really need any extra help I could get.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Nobody likes to be labeled, but it will always happen. Do you go through your life doing things based on what others think?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Citizenship is another issue and not pertinent to the discussion.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Again, are you going to be yourself or just react to what others think or do?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Not silly at all, but you can be both Hispanic and whatever else you are in life. My kids are of mixed ethnicity and race, they identify as many things, but I hope mostly as the individuals that they are. While they have participated in some activities associated with the Hispanic community (eg. volunteering at a low income clinic, tutoring in an elementary school, etc.), but they generally don’t attend school functions for Hispanic students or socialize primarily with other Hispanic kids. I don’t think that’s a problem and I haven’t gotten any indication that the colleges do either. JMHO but I think Hispanics, like any other group, are more robust when there are a range of perspectives, not only a mainstream ideology.</p>

<p>Best of luck, just remember that the decision is YOURS, not anyone else’s.</p>

<p>XXpurplecookies:</p>

<p>I am sorry but I just can’t let your comment “how minority groups chose to segregate themselves and behave true to the stereotypes” lie. As I believe Entomom correctly pointed out " I’m trying to wrap my head around why you can’t be an ‘American citizen like anyone else’, and be of Hispanic heritage, where’s the disconnect? IMO it’s because you’ve bought into the stereotype that ignorant people have perpetuated." You are of course entitled to our own opinion but as an adult let me give you one piece of advice as you enter the adult world and apply to colleges- do not make sweeping generalizations about Hispanics that we “segregate” ourselves and behave true to stereotypes. You are short changing the many Hispanics in the U.S. with your very narrow view of us. I am a proud Mexican-American; I graduated from a top ten law school in the early 80’s; and have worked in giant law firms making $$$$. I am proud of my ethnicity and love when my family gets together to celebrate our heritage. I worked hard to make my children who are only 50% Hispanic proud of their heritage. Now they don’t wear a sombero to school but they know of Hispanic traditions just like many cultures in the United States. I am sure we all have friends of different cultures who identify with their culture (e.g. my Jewish friends who celebrate their children’s bar mitzvahs) but that does not mean that any of them are less American than yourself. Moreover wouldn’t the world be very boring if we were all the same. </p>

<p>If you don’t feel comfortable checking the box “Hispanic” then don’t do it. College want such information because colleges want a diverse population whether it be economic; geographic or ethnically. Please don’t take it the wrong way but frankly I feel bad for you that you have bought into the ignorant view of others. Being part of a culture and learning about different cultures is actually a good thing.</p>