Princeton University Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

Ah, that makes more sense.

I can apply BSE with MechEng and CS BSE, right?

And thank you for correcting me! Maths and Physics both are AB majors.

1 Like

Sure. I would just apply for the majors you’re interested in and the appropriate degree for them.

1 Like

Does anyone know the deferral rate for Princeton for this cycle? Yale has published its numbers and is deferring something between 25-30% of REA applicants. Some folks on the web have suggested that Princeton has similar rates. Anyone with good sources know?

If 25-30% is real, I project a 1 in 2-3 chance of getting accepted in RD round.

p.s. Daughter was deferred

1 Like

How did you arrive at those numbers?

Yale received 7,744 and deferred 21% (~1626). Those will now join the thousands of RD applicants. Taking last year’s numbers of 50,015 total and 2,234 acceptances, that means an additional 42,271 applications, an RD pool of 43,897, for an additional 1,458 acceptances (~3% acceptance rate).

sources: Yale News & Crimson Education

2 Likes

Agreed. And in any case a 33-50% chance of acceptance Is overly optimistic.

1 Like

Anecdotally, based on what I saw last year, I would say that the chance of a deferral turning into an acceptance is slim to none. I guess that is what 3% is anyway, so probably no worse off.

1 Like

Yale deferred 21% of SCEA applicants this year.

1 Like

If Princeton’s deferral rate is similar to Yale’s, I think those deferred have a much better chance than the regular RD rate. Sine Princeton has not announced details, let’s use the Yale numbers for illustration.

• Total accepted: 776 or 10%

• Now let’s take out the athletes and the development kids to get a “cleaner” acceptance rate. I don’t know the exact number, but let’s use 225. (776-225)/(7744-225) = 7.3%

• The 1626 deferred represent about 21.6% of the non athlete/development applicants

• The deferred and accepted represent the top 29% of REA applicants excluding athletes and development.

• The REA pool is generally thought to be more competitive than the RD pool, but assume they are the same, the top 29% of 43,897 = 12,730. These top 29%, which include the deferreds are competing for 1,458 - 66 (QB) spots. So I get a 1,392/12,730, so about an 11% rate.

1 Like

I am not sure I am reading this right. Are you saying that only 29% of the applicants are actually competitive and therefore the only ones deferred students (whom we can safely assume are competitive) are competing against?

I am saying that if the deferred students were within the top 29% of the REA pool, excluding athletes and development admits, and the REA pool is at least as competitive, probably more so, than the RD pool, then they should be within the top 29% of the RD pool. That is their competition for the remaining spots.

2 Likes

Got it. I don’t agree with that line of thinking, but we are all speculating, so sure.

2 Likes

So let me ask you a question, assume only 100 REA applicants got deferred, would you think that their chances were still only 3%, or whatever the general admit rate were? Assume 75% or more got deferred, don’t you think their chances would be less? The more selective the determination of the deferred applicants indicates to me that group is more competitive. The 11%± of course is speculation. I don’t think their chances are 33% to 50% as someone else speculated, but I would bet dollars to donuts that the rate will be better than the RD rate or even the overall admit rate if only 21% were deferred.

1 Like

As a long time alum interviewer for Princeton, but not interviewing this year, our regional alumni group was just told yesterday that REA applications were up 20% vs. last year and that current pace of submitted apps for RD vs. same period last year is implying +20% for RD as well.

That’s not official but what our region of alumni was told by admissions office unofficially. +20% would not necessarily align with # of early apps Yale reported vs. last year.

6 Likes

Great info. Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

I wonder if that is bc of Princeton’s new financial aid policy. Any thoughts?

2 Likes

When I first learned of Princeton’s new FA a few months back, that was the first thought that went through my head. Raising the full ride ceiling to $100K is a huge deal for so many families, so it undoubtedly had an impact in the number of SCEA applicants and will likely see the increased number of RD applicants, as well.

4 Likes

I don’t see an RD thread yet, but interestingly enough, I’ve already gotten my interview request. I submitted on Dec 31.

3 Likes

Yale only defers 20% roughly. When my S21 was applying, I thought I read that Harvard defers about 70-80% of the ED round (he was deferred back then). That sounds like two very different approaches.

2 Likes