Princeton University Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

Until recently (5-10 years ago), Princeton deferred most SCEA applicants (60-70%) as well. I’m glad that they’re no longer doing that, as I think it gave too many people false hope. I don’t know whether Harvard has changed its approach too.

3 Likes

Love your attitude, God bless

1 Like

I am looking at your wonderful profile and sweating- two math olympiads, God bless.

1 Like

They still do, according to a friend of mine whose mom works in Princeton admissions. Not sure where this impression is coming from.

Are you asking where I get the impression that Princeton no longer defers most SCEA students? I have actual statistics for my region, and over the past 2 admission cycles 31% of SCEA students have been deferred in my part of NJ and 54% have been rejected. It’s possible that the deferment rate for my region differs from the figure for the overall SCEA pool, but the overall acceptance rate for my area has generally been similar (probably marginally better) than the overall rate, so I have no reason to think that our deferment rate is an outlier. But since Princeton is no longer releasing its SCEA stats publicly, I can’t say for sure.

5 Likes

I don’t understand why a school would not be transparent on SCEA/ED outcomes, especially if there has been deviation from past cycles where relevant information was disclosed. Whether or not the deferral rate is 20/30% vs 70/80% is useful and relevant information for those deferred/or rejected.

9 Likes

a friend’s daughter’s school as well - three kids from Bx, NY feeder school…

1 Like

Feeder school?? Please dont mind me asking feeder school to what?

1 Like

Some high schools are considered “feeder schools” to the Ivys. Riverdale Country Day school in NY already has 6 kids going Brown, 2 to Harvard, 2 to Princeton, 2 to Yale, 3 to Stanford, 1 to Cornell, 1 to UChicago, 4 to Duke and 4 to UPenn. All early acceptances, fall 2023.

5 Likes

Wow, thanks. Really appreciate your response.

1 Like

Sounds like meritocracy at work.

well, the school costs $50K a year for K-12. not taking anything away from those kids, Im sure they work very hard…

1 Like

As you obviously know, Riverdale is one of the best private schools in the country.

Those REA/ED1 admissions are fantastic, especially this year.

I would be curious to know how many students applied to similar colleges REA/ED1 and were deferred or denied … and of those, how many are applying somewhere else ED2 … like UChicago.

It seems like the kind of school UChicago covets, and it also seems like the kind of school where if you are deferred or denied REA/ED1 at Harvard or Penn, you would strongly consider UChicago ED2.

From the Riverdale website, here are some of their matriculation totals over the last 5 years 2017-2022. Very impressive:

Cornell 52 (10/year)
Penn 45 (8/year)
Brown 31 (6/year)
Duke 28
Columbia 27
UChicago 24
Northwestern 21
Harvard 20
Yale 18
Dartmouth 14
Stanford 13
Amherst 8
Princeton 7
Williams 7

3 Likes

Interesting info, thank you!

likely many have legacy?

2 Likes

I go to a school with similarly high matriculation numbers. It’s mostly legacies.

6 Likes

Same here — 2 kiddos at private k-12 school with “hooked” applicants…lots of legacies, a few first-gen on scholarship, some athletic recruits and occasional developmental cases.

1 Like

Exactly.

Also: small point, those numbers stated above are over six years, not five.

2 Likes

Same in San Francisco… three legacies I know (plus two of those were also clearly development) were accepted for co27. What I really wish was transparent for any of the ‘feeder’ schools - or let’s just say established independent (and/or boarding) high schools - are the number legacies/athletes hooks in their college profile stats. Unfortunately we’re in an environment where a high school credits their ‘success’/‘how strong they are’ based on their college placements when in reality, a good part of their HYPSM and other top school placements are primarily based on hooks.

7 Likes

Harvard Westlake in LA used to disclose exactly that-its hooked vs unhooked admissions to Ivies. The numbers were remarkable. If you search on the web you can probably still find the report.

1 Like