Princeton University Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

I think you might be referring to this:

Scrolling down to the bottom will show applicants and acceptances for each GPA group over a 3-year period. The chart explicitly states that students with “distinctions” (legacies, athletes, etc.) are excluded from this list. Though we’re a little unclear on what “etc.” means, perhaps it includes developmental cases, but not necessarily other known institutional priorities like URM or First Gen. Even so, sticking with the Princeton topic, Princeton gets 3 acceptances over the 3 years.

3 Likes

At the private high school my daughter attends, 12% are going to ivies. All sports recruits. All for the same sport. The high stat super intelligent kids are getting deferred.

8 Likes

Isnt Harvard Westlake where all of famous Hollywood’s kids go?

3 Likes

Sometimes the high stats kids and the athletes are the same kids.

5 Likes

Sometimes. And then sometimes Naviance shows that kids from your school have gotten into Princeton with 89 averages and 28 ACT’s :woman_shrugging:t3:have to assume either athlete or legacy or both.

4 Likes

Please excuse my ignorance but how do kids with low ACT/SAT and GPA cope up in such competitive environment?

1 Like

They come from a highly selective boarding school with grade deflation.

3 Likes

Most likely athlete. All the legacies I know have very high stats - the freshman survey shows that the lowest scoring group is athletes, most of whom don’t submit scores, and the highest is legacy.

4 Likes

Often you can tell exactly who the athletes are because they’ve put their scores on Twitter or Instagram. So when I look at naviance I can easily pick out the athletes because I know for a fact what their sat scores were. And yes. It’s a little surprising when you first figure out how low Princeton (and all ivys) will go.

1 Like

Yep, and it’s misleading when your school routinely accepts 6-8 from a class of 180 to almost every Ivy and T20, and you have perfect scores and top grades, unique high level EC to continue in college, great recs etc. Would not have wasted the REA.

5 Likes

I disagree. REA was your best shot and if you are competitive and that was your first choice school you should have taken it.

It’s hard not to take it personally, but I bet you will have at least one school that is just as competitive in the end.

We had a mix of rejection/acceptance/WL at T20 schools including several ivies with seemingly no rhyme or reason for why some worked out and others didn’t.

5 Likes

I disagree after this years round of early action I listened to some private admissions “talks” that I was privy to for a variety of reasons (I didn’t have a kid applying this round). It was very very clear, expressly stated that EA/REA is for institutional priorities and those do not include the high stat super smart kid, even with a unique ec. It’s diversity, athlete, legacy, development, and maybe other needs like music. So sure if it’s your top choice that’s fine but it’s not giving kids the advantage they have been led to believe it confers.

9 Likes

Perfect scores and top grades are very common at this level. They will matter more one tier down, where I am sure there will be much success.
Back when Princeton released statistics, one could tell that about 110 slots were for Questbridge and another 200 for athletes in the early round. I would expect those numbers are stable.

They mostly do fine. The hardest part is getting in.

3 Likes

My older kid was an Ivy athlete (and NM finalist and valedictorian), so I know many other Ivy athletes through my kid - and many of them would have been in the mix in the applicant pool even absent their sport. I think it’s dangerous and unfair to assume that 200 spots go to athletes who don’t have the stats. There are rules governing the recruiting process, and those ensure that recruiting classes hit certain averages; this means that there have to be high stats kids to pull in any with low stats.

4 Likes

Agreed. Like legacies, most athletes are exceptionally qualified. It does decrease the number of slots available to others however, and applicants should be aware of that in applying.

1 Like

6 students from DD’s school went to Princeton with under a 90 average and under a 1490 SAT, lowest was in the 1200’s. One with a 90 and 25 ACT. Every kid with perfect ACT or SAT except 1 was denied. Acceptance rate from her school over the past 6 years ranged from 15-25%. We asked the advisor if she had a chance, if non-legacy, non-athletes get in. This year we know at least 4 acceptances were for the same sport. Feel a bit misled. But it is their loss. Just means she couldn’t apply other places early where she would have actually had a chance. I just wish things were more transparent.

6 Likes

I am sure your child will end up in a good place. I too am not supportive of athletic admissions, but they are what they are, and as noted above, there are rules pertaining to them so that as a group, the group results can’t vary too much from the mean ( though individual stats can vary greatly, so long as they are balanced out by other team members).

In any event, those athletic spots are separate and your daughter was never in competition for those slots. Among the remaining slots available ( assuming not URM/FGLI/legacy), perfect stats and scores are pretty common. 90% of those with a perfect gpa are rejected. It doesnt make it any easier, but the numbers are just against most of the highly qualified applicants. Princeton’s SCEA does permit application to the many outstanding public colleges such as UNC, UVA, Michigan, UCLA. I hope you took advantage of that.

1 Like

FWIW it seems unlikely your counselor advised you appropriately or that your school’s acceptance rate used to be that high. Note the stats above-even at some of the best prep schools in the country like Harvard WestLake and Riverdale, they are getting 1 or 2 unhooked kids in to Princeton. Sounds like that should have been the expectation.

No, she didn’t apply to huge state schools. Waiting for RD’s from several competitive small LAC’s. Has a few acceptances with good merit.