Printer needed?

<p>We know from checking website that there is a computer lab w/printers in Mahoney, where freshman DS will be starting in August (yikes!). How difficult is it to use the printers when needed, will he be better off with an inexpensive b/w printer in the room, and using a lab printer if color is needed? Just working on the 'to buy in Miami' list......
Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>no printer was needed last year (Stanford)</p>

<p>Needed...No. More convenient to have your own...Yes!!</p>

<p>S said he loved the convenience of having his own printer in his room.</p>

<p>I am buying a new one bc i broke mine from last year, but I would definitely recommend it. Otherwise you have to run down to the lab every time you want to hand in an assignment or anything like that. For me, the lab was 11 floors away, and the elevators aren't fun to wait for, especially in the towers. Its weird your daughter is in mahoney, a lot of upperclassmen got closed out from there. I guess its just the way housing works out! Remember, the smaller the printer, the better!</p>

<p>Thanks for the info - we will probably purchase a small printer for the room. I'm still fairly new to this board, but I thought DS meant Darling Son. Did I make a huge mistake??
Also I know that Mahoney was not his first or second choice - and on another post I read that they are actually placing freshman in the University Village apartments as overflow! That would definitely be a weird set-up for a first semester freshman.......</p>

<p>DS does equal Son. </p>

<p>Your son will love Mahoney. Last year there were quite a few freshman, and according to my S, there will be more this year. The U really thought that University Village would help to allieviate some of the housing crunch, but it seems like it hasn't. It could be because of the astronomical rents off campus, or the older apartment damage due to Katrina/Wilma, but either way it seems like they are massively short with housing again this year.</p>

<p>I'm taking a printer with... can't imagine having a project due and then also dealing with the extra hassle of printing somewhere else. I can just imagine around finals, that there would be a ton of people wanting to use them too...</p>