PRISM Program

<p>Does anybody know about the PRISM (Advanced Program for Integrated Science and Mathematics) program at UM?</p>

<p>I was just selected for PRISM at UM, but I am unsure about it. I followed the website to the explanation, but I just wanted to see if other cc members were selected or knew about it.</p>

<p>I was also selected and would like to hear from someone who was in the program.</p>

<p>I'm currently in the PRISM program at UM (started Fall 08). The reason you guys are having trouble finding info on it is because its in its first year. We're basically the first class in it. What i can tell you so far is that the program requires you to take certain classes for at least your first two years, which limits your options for taking other classes.</p>

<p>First-year Curriculum
Fall Spring<br>
BIL 150/151 BIL160/161 Intro. to Biology with Inquiry-based labs
CHM111/113 CHM 112/114 Intro to Chemistry
MTH 111 MTH 112 Calculus 1 and 2
Second-year Curriculum
Fall Spring<br>
CSC 210 Scientific Computing
BIL 2xx One of 4 second-year bio classes(Genetics, Cell and Molecular Biology, Ecology, or Human Anatomy ± lab)
CHM 201/205 CHM202/206 Organic Chemistry 1 and 2 with labs
PHY 201/106 PHY 202/108 Physics with Calculus for Life Scientists</p>

<p>Also, it doesnt really fit too well with certain majors like Neuroscience because you waste time on some classes you dont really need. Im a biology major so its works fine with my overall college schedule, but thats just me. Its kind've a pain in the ass to take those classes all at the same time, especially second semester calc 2 which Im currently ignoring to type this up, but it should look pretty nasty when applying to grad school at UM. As far as how beneficial it will be when applying to other schools, Im not sure seeing as how the program is new and so its too well known yet.</p>

<p>You have the same people in all of those classes so you make friends faster that you can rely on for help in all classes, but on the downside you meet less people overall. Also, all PRISM courses are for honors credit, so it works very well if you join the general honors program. The downside to all of it is basically having less control over your schedule or professors. For example, there was only one period where you were allowed to take Bio and Chem last semester, while Calc only had two. So you have to fit any other classes around them. On the upside, you automatically get into HHMI labs for Bio which are much better and much more interesting than the regular labs. Though there were problems with tests being scheduled too close to each other at first, PRISM professors coordinated so our tests are all pretty well spread out at this point.</p>

<p>I was selected for it too. My friend visited during the admit weekend, a week ago and said that a few students discussing the program urged the students not to take it. That it was very challenging, even limiting, and did not seem to be offering much of a different style of learning.</p>

<p>It sounded interesting to me until I realized that it has so many requirements. Lots of them being the ones that were either recommended in high school, or stressed to the maximum. No thanks. Not going through high school again.</p>

<p>what were some of those stressful requirements if u dont mind sharing? thanks</p>

<p>I would like to bump this thread. Any notes on PRISM since it has started? I feel like they may have worked out the kinks and have it running more smoothly now.</p>