Private Housing

<p>So the private housing contract I got on the mail os due pretty soon. I was just wondering if anyone would like to share what they have experienced/seen/heard about the private housing at UW. I am considering whether I would prefer university housing or private housing, so any input would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance</p>

<p>I live in the public dorms but I’ve spent quite a bit of time in most of the private dorms. They are mostly filled with students from out of state - often from the East Coast. If you’re a freshman I would recommend Statesider, as there are lots of freshmen there. It’s reasonably nice, though there are a few public dorms that are nicer. It’s also not strict at all there compared to the public dorms, which is nice, though the public dorms aren’t that strict either. There’s also Lucky, which will be a bit more isolated as it’s apartments instead of dorm suites, but it’s extremely nice, though expensive. One thing to note is that Statesider and Towers are both right on State, which is nice, but they’re a tad far from class buildings. Not intolerably far, but it’s more of a walk than almost any public dorm.</p>

<p>I would say it’s mostly about the people you want to be around. I’d recommend the public dorms, but if you want to be around people from the East Coast, or you like really need your own bathroom, I would look into the private dorms. The public dorms do have many out of state students, however, and they are very nice. The food is also much better in the public dorms, and you can eat in a variety of places around campus, whereas Statesider is the only private dorm with a meal plan and you can only eat there and I’ve heard the food isn’t the best. The others are apartments and you’d have to cook for yourself.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input! I’m a little worried about meals if I go with private. I’m leaning towards public, but I just wanted to make sure I consider all my options</p>

<p>My son lived in Statesider freshman year and I agree with RoxSox basically. </p>

<p>Good points of the UH housing: pretty nice rooms and baths, not a ton of rules and regulations, pretty good maintenance, newer buildings, proximity to State Street. Bad points: more expensive, slightly longer walk to many classrooms, food is mediocre and served only during certain hours.</p>

<p>Basically it’s a cultural thing. The UH housing attracts a lot of the students from Chicagoland and the East and West Coasts, including a big Jewish contingent. That’s a generalization and I mean no offense, but it’s a rule of thumb that you should be aware of when choosing where to live.</p>

<p>You can’t go wrong with Res Halls- the public dorms. Private if you wish. Remember- if you sign a private contract be sure you read the fine print about what happens if you don’t attend UW- you may still be obligated to pay the whole cost.</p>

<p>Just got the package on private dorms. Seems to be very pricey. In terms of undergrad experiences, I assume they will all be similar?</p>

<p>I don’t think people choose the private dorms to save money.</p>

<p>True…to some folks, college cost is barely in the noises…Whereas for common folks, it is a big deal. For better or worse, my son did not born with a silver spoon in his mouth…:(</p>

<p>Our family’s from Chicagoland, my D chose the Lakeshore area public dorm last year & it was a great choice. Private housing was not in the equation, monetarily or otherwise. Self-segregation is not what attending a somewhat culturally-diverse school like Madison is all about.</p>

<p>Yes. I would agree, jnm123. The difference is not that great money-wise. In fact S is leaning towards one of the fancy ones with apartment style. Affordability is not an issue. However, I want him to interact more with diversified crowd. If he can convince me (with an elaborate ROI calculation) the benefit of spending over $60 per day for nine month in a fancy dorm, the answer could be positive. Otherwise, he is staying in a dorm along the lake shore, which are quite nice, comparing the dorm I stayed when I was in college.</p>

<p>Good luck on the ROI, kxc! D is presently trying to convince me that a 1 BR apartment for her junior year is the way to go. She did get off el cheapo this year sharing a house with 6 others costing ~$350/mo, so she’s saying ‘it all averages out’. HA!</p>

<p>Sharing a house with 6 people is precisely the college experience one should have! I shared with 28 people in a dorm (quite large dorm I might add, a class room converted to dorm.) with 14 double bunk bed cramped in the room. It was a maze getting in and out. Well, that was over 30 years ago in China…Made a lot of friends and maintained good grades. Sure, time is different now than it was back then. However, kids need to learn what makes sense and what does not.
For some kids, I would be worried about having no roommate and not having any restrictions. Playing game all night and skip classes. A kid I know had to drop out of Madison just like that.</p>

<p>It’s not common for sophomores to remain in the dorms, although there are some pretty sweet Lakeshore dorms that have a fair amount of non-freshmen like Tripp & Adams. But for the most part, by the 2nd year it’s the wide, wide world of apartment/house living in Madison.</p>

<p>Only real problem D is having this year in her communal situation is the fact that a couple of them are very sloppy, more in the kitchen than anything else, and as a dietetics student this offends her. I suppose it’s a rite of passage in interpersonal relationships to work these issues out, and she has, but I know she craves a clean kitchen that doesn’t magically turn into a pit.</p>

<p>One more thing–the closer to campus one resides, the higher the parking costs for car owners. In the next few weeks wife & I will be running up to Madison for the day to check out some places with D–who recently bought a clunker that runs & that about it–and we will be factoring parking costs in with everything else!</p>

<p>Is parking near the campus a problem? How much on per month basis for a student parking on campus? If parking is not an issue, then live in an apartment away from the campus might be a better option after freshman year.</p>

<p>Others would be able to fill in the blanks better than I, but from what I’ve heard it can run $100-$125/mo. closer in, and sometimes that spot could be in a lot a block away from the apartment, which sounds ludicrous to me.</p>

<p>Having a car in Madison is great, it saves a lot of time gettin’ around, BUT the bus system is phenomenal & free to all UW-Madison students. So pick your poison I guess.</p>

<p>No need to have a car on campus. In fact, a car is useless on campus- no place to park near classes… A car may make it easy to go home weekends, although students rarely leave town. It could be handy in saving money on groceries, but the time spent travelling to the far away stores is a cost as well. Most entertainment in Madison is in the campus area. Students do well without cars. Having an apartment away from campus would entail parking in a lot at one end of campus and walking a distance to classes- may as well spend the money on a place walking distance to classes. Then one could easily return home between classes. Also won’t have to shovel out the car or clean the windshield in winter.</p>

<p>Don’t bring a car to campus unless you have a VERY good reason (ie a worthwhile job far off-campus). Parents: USE Community Car as an incentive for students who may want cars on campus. I’ve had it since I was 19, with a 3.0 GPA you get special student discount. I think there are now 6-8 cars actually ON campus. You pay per hour for usage and it’s all-inclusive, insurance, maintenance, gas, mileage, it’s all in the hourly rate.</p>

<p>When it comes to getting home, Madison has great connections through a variety of bus services to all major cities in midwest (Chicago, MSP, and even the FRV). Flights are cheap to major cities like Phillie, NYC, DC. </p>

<p>Seriously, see how the first year goes. Keep grades up for first semester and reward student with community car once turn 19 if grades are kept up. Perfect for going to the mall, going to get groceries, whatever you may need in the area.</p>

<p>FRV? Is that the Fox River Valley- along Hwy 41 in NE WI?</p>

<p>For daily use not needed but I liked having one for getting away on weekends and seeing the countryside or going to certain places that are not handy to get to–like Road America. Also good for roadtripping to other schools such as away football games. But getting to campus daily–no. Bus, bike, walk or moped.</p>