Problem

<p>My friend was deferred by UW and I was wondering if there are any CC in Madison. I know that at UIUC there is a CC and you live on campus at UIUC and you could join any club or do anything you want there (except join a frat).</p>

<p>There’s MATC (Madison Area Technical College) and a smaller liberal arts college called Edgewood. You can’t live in public dorms but you could probably live in a private one if you wanted. I also think you could probably join some clubs, they don’t ask for your student ID or anything.</p>

<p>…is the new name.</p>

<p>It also has a direct transfer program to UW-Madison after 2 years. (“Connections” program).</p>

<p>I wonder if the student would be better off at another UW campus to get the full college freshman experience. The MATC- now supposedly “upgraded” to MC is still a commuter college, not in the same league as 4 year institutions. Did they change the name because they no longer attempt to meet the technical college needs for the area? Is there too much local pressure for quasi university courses instead of those leading to jobs? I doubt the caliber of English classes is that of a 4 year college with the better academic peer level… As you can see I am not impressed with it. I also pity those students who live in Madison and could go to a 4 year college elsewhere if they didn’t get into UW-Madison who choose to not leave home. They are short changing themselves. It is worth taking loans and leaving the nest- exposure to the world outside of Dane County. It is too bad those of us from Dane County couldn’t go away from our home area for college to attend UW (at least there are the dorms), but UW-Madison is its own world and worth the sacrifice of not leaving. Not so for “Madison College”.</p>