Process for admissions

<p>Along with UW Madison, my son has applied to about six other schools. With the exception of UW, which he applied to this month, and Minnesota CBS, he has been accepted to each of the other schools. For some reason, word has been very slow to come from UM even though he applied there a while ago. </p>

<p>It seems that UW Madison is more unique then the other schools in how they admit students. It appears that they are getting some really wonderful candidates who for one reason or another aren't getting in or are postponed. My son seems to be a good candidate but I'm not asking anyone to chance him. What I'd really want to know is if someone can explain the process that an application and all the other supplemental documents go through. Does each application pass accross the desk of the counselors for the geographic area that the application came from? Would each application in essence be competing with students from all over or just their specific geographic area? </p>

<p>Currently, UW Madison doesn't have a counselor assigned to our area (Suburban Chicago). I'm sure there are lots of applications from this area so I'm guessing the competition would be tough if a student were competing by region etc.... I have no idea if this is indeed part of the process but since we all have time to kill while waiting, I'm hoping someone that really knows can enlighten me.</p>

<p>His top two choices right now are UW Madison and Minnesota Twin-Cities. He's already in at Indiana, Iowa, Illinois, and Alabama. 31 ACT, 3.8 GPA and really good rec's, EC's and many community service gigs.</p>

<p>There is information about application myths on the UW website that can answer your questions more accurately/better than any of us online.</p>