Program help: USC Bovard Scholar vs NIH STEP-UP program.

Hello. I was recently accepted into 2 minority based programs as an Asian male. I was wondering if anyone had more information on these two programs. It’s a hard choice because it seems that both of them are competitive and idk if I should wait for MITES, SAMS, SSP, etc.

I know that USC has 70% of their students get into top30 universities. But the STEP-UP program is paid research and I get to present my project at NIH. I’m mostly interested in mechanical/biomedical engineering and I feel that the research will help benefit me throughout my senior year (such as publishing my findings in science fairs). Does anyone know the acceptance rates for these two programs? and does anyone have experience with them?

@Asianboi51234 congrats!!! I also got NIH STEP-UP. I also am very interested in biomedical engineering. We’re you going to do something combining it with NIDDK’s mission? I’m also waiting for other programs, but I’m most likely doing this one because I can do it by my house and I get paid.

yeah I plan to combine it with the mission. I’m looking into MITES, SAMS, and SSP but they’re really hard to get in

Im also looking at MITES, MOSTEC and SSP but they are very hard to get into just like STEP-UP. @aspiringgirl participated a few years ago too and maybe she can answer some questions.

@aspiringgirl can you talk about your research experience and your overall experience participating?

Did you do it? can you share your experience. Need to reply in a few days.