Projected Residence Hall Rates posted

<p><a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/pdfs/2013-2014_PROJECTED-Residence-Hall-Rates.pdf[/url]”>http://housing.ua.edu/pdfs/2013-2014_PROJECTED-Residence-Hall-Rates.pdf</a></p>

<p>Wow…$9400 per year is tough to swallow for 4-person suite.</p>

<p>Weren’t they just a bit over $8,000 in 2011/12? It’ll be interesting to see what the market will bear.</p>

<p>i dont remember, but they just keep going up!</p>

<p>$8800 for a 4-some suite this current year.</p>

<p>When you consider 8 months (since you have to move out for 4 weeks over Christmas + spring), $9400 = $1175/month.</p>

<p>Obviously aeromom is behind on her Judge Judy viewing. When your “stuff” is in a place, it’s considered occupied. Doesn’t matter if a body is in there or not. Same rules applies for private housing.</p>

<p>Wow! Our DS will probably be taking over his sister’s apartment after his first year! That will save about $3500!</p>

<p>agree, class2012 mom. </p>

<p>you are correct, but i get her point, too. your stuff is still there, but if you needed to actually “live” there, it is not an option. my other daughter goes to another school. she also has a job there in the college town. she is a freshman and lives in apartment (GASP!). if she lived in the dorm she would probably have lost her job, because she needed to be there for work for some of the christmas break.</p>

<p>Wonder if this will result in some kids who are paying retail (not on scholarship) to reconsider.</p>

<p>Reconsider recontracting not attending.</p>

<p>January 2007 Crimson White article [Housing</a> costs raise concerns](<a href=“YouA moves from Youtube - The Crimson White”>YouA moves from Youtube - The Crimson White) - </p>

<p>“In the 2006-07 academic year, the rate per semester for a four-bedroom suite in the Riverside residence halls was $2,450. In the 2008-09 academic year, the rate per semester for a four-bedroom suite in Riverside was $3,100. This year, a four-bedroom suite in Riverside costs $3,750 per semester, a 53 percent increase in four years.”</p>

<p>I understand you have to move out for breaks, but I think you need to compare annual price - 2 semesters in the dorm vs. one year in private housing to get a true cost comparison</p>

<p>2 semesters in dorm plus summer storage costs = $9500 vs. 12 months in a private apartment at $650 per month = $7200 and you don’t have to move “stuff” nor do you have to worry about the strict move-in schedule and get out for breaks.</p>

<p>If your student needs summer housing, off campus is even a better deal.</p>

<p>My son is moving off campus. His choice. I am curious what the actual overall cost will end up being. </p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>Our D’s apartment has cost her about $500 a month for a large 2 bedroom/2 bath. That includes all utilities, cable and Internet. However, she chose a quieter complex across the river in Northport. She loves it!</p>

<p>That’s $1,000 more next year than this year…that is ridiculous!</p>

<p>No, “just” $600 ($9400-8800).</p>

<p>I understand inflation, but geesh…didn’t costs just go up 10% a year ago? Are costs of off campus rentals going up that quickly too?</p>

<p>maybe this is why non-scholarship kids move off campus …</p>

<p>I thought the suite dorm rooms were $8400 this year, that must of been last year’s price. Either way $600 is too much to go up in one year.</p>