PROMYS 2020

I noticed that there weren’t any discussions regarding PROMYS 2020 so I decided to make one. Can you guys please hold all discussions regarding admissions here? Also, feel free to comment what you have done so far, such as problems you’ve solved or essays you’ve written. How easy or difficult do you guys think the problems are this year? Is anyone using LaTex to typeset their solutions? Good luck everyone

Hey, I’m applying for PROMYS Europe. I’ve done questions 1, 4, 5 and 8 to completion (I think) and half-finished the rest of the questions. I haven’t tried problems from previous years but I can say that these are talking me ages. I’m using pages (which supports LaTex for typing maths) but only because my handwriting is an abomination.

Just a quick follow-up, I finished question 2 and 10 as well but am continuing to struggle to complete the rest of them. How are you guys doing?

@awesome54326 I’m also applying to PROMYS Europe (woo-hoo!) but I’m kinda struggling like you too! Not sure if this is a good sign or not :tired_face:

I’ve done problems 1, 5 and 7 and I’m starting 2 and 3 today. I’m scared to do 8 though, how difficult are you guys finding them this year? Also, does anyone know if it’s better to include more than one solution for each problem?

@awesome54326 I’m confused about number 6. Are we allowed to use each number from 1 to 9 only once or can we re-use some numbers and not use others in the grid?

Yeah, sorry for responding so late but I think they’re saying that we can only use the numbers once each.

Hey! I’m also applying for PROMYS Europe. How are you guys doing? I’m typing everything on computer and it’s taking AGES!!! So far I’ve finished typing 4/10 but I’ve solved around 8’5/10 and I genuinely don’t think I’ll make it in time… Do you know if we can also submit on Sunday or does it have to be before Sunday?

Also… Is anyone else concerned about the coronavirus situation? Appart from the world’s current situation, I fear they might cancel PROMYS or something (hope they don’t…).

@Hermiana Pretty sure they will, but let’s hope not.

@Synthitics are you applying to PROMYS Europe too? If so, good luck! How are you doing? ?
(I’m feeling a little bit discouraged but doing my best ?)

@awesome54326 hi!!! it looks promising… so far I’ve typed out 2, 3, 4, 5 and 8; and I’m hoping to type numbers 6 & 10 before tomorrow ?. I’m a little bit lost on number 9 and I know how to do half of number 1 (I’ve barely read number 7)… Good luck!!! Hope we all get in! ??

@Hermiana Good luck to you as well! We are able to use our calculators right?

Yeah, I think so (at least I have) ?.. How are you doing? ?

@Hermiana I’ve done all the problems except for 6 and 9. 6 is really stumping me.

@Synthitics wow!!! that’s SO COOL!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! I’m still typing them out (and I’m anticipating it’s going to be a long night ?). Good luck with 6 and 9! ? (I haven’t been able to solve them either, I’m working on them right now…)

Hey guys, if any of you can help I’m having problem upload the file, when I try to save it as pdf it tells me that it too big to be converted. And I cant remove any text since it’s all solutions. Can you guys help?

Hi @ErenJeager ! I haven’t uploaded my file yet but I know that they only allow you to send a file with less than 10MB; if you can’t delete any of the pages you can lower the resolution and (even if any drawings/graphics you’ve done will be seen a little bit worse) you should be able to send it to them. Is the file handwritten or did you type it on Word/Latex etc.?
If you can’t lower the resolution I know there is a PROMYS-email you can write to, in the worst case scenario you could ask them to send your solutions through that email account ?..
Hope this helps, good luck! ?

Thanks a lot @Hermiana. In the end I managed to convert it all into pdf. It’s just that at that time I was panicking since I couldnt think of any other way, and after doing all the work for the whole night it would have been very disheartening hahaha

I just submitted my application but I got no confirmation email but I emailed PROMYS and I’m waiting to hear back. Does anyone know if this is normal? Has it happened to anyone else?