Pros and Cons of Hypatia... and has anyone successfully completed an application?

<p>We got the email for my daughter to apply the dorm but she wasn't able to do it unless she accepted enrollment. However, it does say she can do it before she accepts. What are the pros and cons of staying in the engineering dorm and has anyone been able to register without accepting?? </p>

<p>My son successfully applied and was accepted into Galileo, but he hasn’t accepted the offer of admission; thus, he cannot confirm his housing yet, but he did get an email saying he’d been accepted into Galileo. Check out he thread on Scholarship and Financial Aid … I ended up explaining in there how he managed to navigate to a place where he could apply.</p>

<p>@crazymomof4 Your daughter must have gotten an invite for an overnight stay with the Hypatia girls on Saturday April 12th. I was planning to have my daughter do the stay and then decide if this is the place she wants to live. I spoke with a friend and she said either the girls really love it or they really hate it. </p>

<p>I have a daughter (currently a Junior) and a son (Freshman) that both chose the Galipatia community. Both have had a great experience, made wonderful friends and highly recommend the program to everyone. The biggest benefit is living with other engineering students. My son is very social and we had some concerns about him being able to focus on academics in college. He told me over the holiday break that if it wasn’t for Galileo he would not have made it. He always had someone nearby that understood the homework or could explain a problem. They were all in the same boat and all worked together. He is going to be a mentor next year.</p>

<p>My daughter is a couple of years out of it and still feels it was a great experience. She is still living with engineers and they still help each other (internship leads, job fairs, etc).</p>

<p>I guess the biggest negative is the stereotypical view of a group of engineering students (boring nerds). That was my biggest concern, but it is not the case. Through my kids I have had the opportunity to meet many of these students and they are neither boring nor nerds. They are focused but they also have a lot of fun. </p>

<p>I hope that information helps.</p>

<p>My daughter, now a junior, was part of Hypatia as a freshman and as a sophomore mentor. DD1 had a great experience as a freshman. All of her closest friends are girls she met on the Hypatia floor and they still live together off campus. Being a mentor was a mixed bag - I don’t think she liked the housing as much (Hypatia moved from Swisher to Lee) but having the mentor position taught her a lot and gave her something to put on her resume. And a Hypatia connection lead directly to her finding her dream internship after sophomore year. </p>

<p>DD2 is now in the process of applying. But we aren’t sure she’ll attend VT. She’s debating between it and UTexas-Austin. If she goes to UT, she’ll join their version of Hypatia.</p>