Pros and Cons of University of Wisconsin- Madison

few more PRO points - The overall facilities are incredible on this campus, compared to many other campuses that we’ve seen. Renovations of facilities show an investment in this fine university. My daughter, who graduated in 2015, walked everywhere. The campus is very close to everything from shopping to great restaurants, to the lake, etc. There is no real separation between the campus and the city. State Street is a “great street”!

Someone in an earlier post mentioned this is not a Greek campus. I’d say that’s not quite accurate; there are tons of students who enjoy Greek life. However, if you don’t “go greek” there are plenty of students who do not and have a great time and social life at the school. I don’t think there is huge pressure to join a fraternity or sorority, but there are many students who do and love it. Many of the Sororities and Fraternities are found on Langdon and they definitely have a great time socializing and volunteering around the city. There are a couple of Fraternities on the lake as well as at least one sorority off of Langdon whose house backs up to the Lake.

The meal system actually saved us quite a bit of money compared to other universities’ meal plans. I really like the UW meal plan, from a financial perspective, as it doesn’t lock you into eating at the dorm all the time. Many of my friends who have students at other schools definitely overpay for the dorm food as their children often eat off campus, so they, in essence, double paid for meals frequently. Also, we found the RED CARD very easy to use and useful for her entire four years.

In terms of class offerings, my daughter was in the Wisconsin School of Business and had many incredible opportunities and plenty of classes to choose from. She graduated in four years without an issue and was able to get into classes she needed. And, as mentioned in a previous post, she had no problem finding a great job with a very respected large company, which she secured by November of her senior year, through Wisconsin’s School of Business campus recruiting process. Finally, most of her peers studied abroad junior year and this was a fantastic experience that every college student should consider.

Kappa Alpha Theta

Agree - and the residence halls have kitchens the students can use. One student on my kid’s floor chose to prepare all his own meals and bypass the dining hall completely.

I was thinking about Pi Beta Phi Sorority as off Langdon but on the lake.

When we visited UW in October they explained the “meal plan” as not really being a plan at all. When we visited Iowas State, the meal plans sounded really reasonable and we were even treated to a meal. There were tons of options where they had us eating and they said that one meal on the plan is basically an “all you can eat” deal…if I understood correctly. So, I guess I’m not sure how the costs would compare. My biggest concern with not really having a “meal plan” is that I don’t believe you can use 529 money to pay for meals if the meals are not connected with housing.

http://www.housing.wisc.edu/dining-residents.htm - This gives a good explanation of how meals work. I remember putting the average amount on my daughter’s WISC Card and that was more than ample. I believe you can use 529 money for this as it is part of the college expenses, but you could probably check with the financial department or your accountant. Personally, we loved the flexibility and options this provided versus the meal plans that were locked in at other schools.

Pi Beta Phi - in my day that building was called The Mansion. Pi Beta Phi purchased it in 1986.

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Content.aspx?dsNav=Ny:True,Ro:0,N:4294963828-4294963814&dsNavOnly=Ntk:All%7c108+langdon%7c3%7c,Ny:True,Ro:0&dsRecordDetails=R:HI101748&dsDimensionSearch=D:130+langdon,Dxm:All,Dxp:3&dsCompoundDimensionSearch=D:130+langdon,Dxm:All,Dxp:3

Less than 10% Greek means it matters to those who choose that but it does not get in the way of the rest of the students- no pressures to join and so much to do without it. Can easily ignore the Langdon St area (off campus, btw)and forget that exists. The campus is large enough population and geographically for many diverse groups to coexist and not be in each other’s face all of the time.

The same meal plan has been in place for over forty years, except that eons ago dorm residents needed to buy a certain dollar amount of food. You put money on your dorm card to be used for food at a discounted price from cash payers, laundry and other purchases through Res Halls. Counts as a college room and board expense. Anyone can eat anywhere and there are no minimums/maximums. Leftover funds return to the student. A check of the various dining hall and snack bar et al menus can be done on the UW Res Halls food service site. As tastes change foods change. Typical 3 meals plus other availability from early morning to later night. Also delivery of some foods (think pizza and subs) for a small fee. Then there are many close to campus places to eat a wide variety of food.

No car needed, or desirable since available parking is far from most buildings and not much available. Walking is good exercise, btw.

@ILhopeful meal expenses can be paid for by 529 plans, as well as room& board (latter is meal plan), tuition, books, schools supplies, etc. You can even pay for off campus rent and food costs as long as one keeps receipts (in case audited) and as long as it is <= cost for room & board at UW. I have some experience since I’ve paid for 6 semesters thus far for my eldest daughter (goes to Belmont University in Nashville) using a TRowePrice National 529 Plan. Nice thing about Belmont’s book store is that student accounts (i.e., money associated with student ID) can only be used to purchase approved school related items (i.e., you can use 529 money to load up student account)

Thanks for that information @tbc1963. I have done several searches on this and can never find a direct answer regarding food, meals, and paying for that 529 money.

@BrewCrew82 if you go to an actual plan website. (E.g., fidelity or vanguard or trowe) they will list approved distributions

As someone going to Madison as a transfer student, I would suggest starting at a smaller UW school. A con with Madison is that you get less credits for AP credits and placement tests. If you start at a smaller UW school you can get a lot more credits, then when transferring you will be better off. Meaning you can get Gen Eds done at those schools and then walk into Madison not needing to be in huge lecture halls.

Current parent here – food prices for students living in the residence halls (“on campus”) are discounted, so for kids in the dorms, meal costs are surprisingly modest. When my student moved off campus (1 block away . . … ) he still ate in the dining halls often because of the convenience, he still paid for what he actually put on his tray, but no longer got the benefit of the “on campus” discount. Still a modest expense compared to the fixed plan cost I see as we compare prices for my current high school senior at various smaller schools.

Cannot say enough good things about UW as a place for an exceptional education. I’d be thrilled if my younger one was interested, but he is not.

Here is “official” statement on qualified distributions from 529 plans from IRS website

1. The following expenses must be required for enrollment or attendance of a Designated beneficiary (defined later) at an eligible educational institution. a. Tuition and fees. b. Books, supplies, and equipment.
  2. Expenses for special needs services needed by a special needs beneficiary must be incurred in connection with enrollment or attendance at an eligible educational institution.
  3. Expenses for room and board must be incurred by students who are enrolled at least half-time. The expense for room and board qualifies only to the extent that it is not more than the greater of the following two amounts. a. The allowance for room and board, as determined by the eligible educational institution, that was included in the cost of attendance (for federal financial aid purposes) for a particular academic period and living arrangement of the student. b. The actual amount charged if the student is residing in housing owned or operated by the eligible educational institution. You will need to contact the eligible educational institution for qualified room and board costs.

For tax years after 2010, the purchase of computer
technology or equipment is only a qualified
education expense if the computer technology or
equipment is required for enrollment or attendance at an
eligible institution

^That is no longer accurate beginning next year.

[Quote=H.R. 2029]
Sec. 529 accounts: The act expands the definition of qualified higher education expenses that are eligible for tax-preferred distributions from Sec. 529 accounts to include computer technology and equipment. The Sec. 529 account rules are modified to eliminate the distribution aggregation requirements, so any distribution from a 529 account will be treated as coming only from that account, even if the individual making the distribution has more than one 529 account. The act also treats a refund of tuition that was paid with amounts distributed from a 529 account as a qualified expense if the amount is recontributed to a 529 account within 60 days. The provision is effective for distributions made or refunds after 2014, or, in the case of refunds after 2014 and before the date of enactment, for refunds recontributed not later than 60 days after the date of enactment.