Prospective Black Ivy Leaguers for class of 2018?

<p>

</p>

<p>Here are my full more detailed stats if that helps.</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted - CAS</p>

<p>Objective:
SAT I (breakdown M/CR/W/Essay): 1st sitting (sophomore year) 660/630/590/7
2nd sitting (senior year) 730/710/560/8
SAT I superscore (breakdown M/CR/W/Essay): 730/710/590/8
ACT (breakdown):
ACT superscore (breakdown):
SAT II (subject, score): Chemistry- 690 US History- 710
Unweighted/Weighted GPA: unweighted- 3.9048
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 7/129
AP/IB (place score in parentheses): Didn’t Report but AP Chem( 2), AP US History( 3), AP Psychology(3)
Senior Year Course Load: AP European History, AP Spanish 4, Religion 4, AP Physics, AP Calculus, AP World Literature (Lit and comp) ,and Choral 4
Number of other ED applicants in your school: 1 ( just me as far as I know)
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel, etc.): nope
Common Awards (AP Scholar, honor roll, NM things, etc.): Honor Roll all throughout high school (Distinguished, First, and Second Honors) , National Honor Society, Tri-M Music Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society</p>

<p>Subjective:
Extracurriculars (name, grade levels, leadership, description):
Spirit Ambassadors, 10th-12th
Spirit Earth, 10th-12th
Spirit Outreach, 9th-12th
Choir 9th-12th<br>
School Play 9th -12th
Drama Club 10th- 12th
Mock Trial Team 9th- 12th , Vice President
Student Government Committee (Sprit Committee), 11th-12th
Academic Triathlon Team 10th-12th
Math Tutoring Club 9th -12th
Interact Club 11th-12th
Book Club 9th -12th </p>

<p>Job/Work Experience: Kmart Cashier from 6/2012 to Present
Volunteer/Community Service: Nursing Home Volunteer, and other various small to mid-sized service projects in my community
Summer Experience: Working for the last two years
Teacher Recommendation #1: Didn’t read, but must have been good if I got in. I picked my AP US Hist 2 Teacher. I didn’t get an A in the class ( I got a low B+) but she knows I work hard.
Teacher Recommendation #2: Didn’t read, but must have been good if I got in. I picked my AP Chem/Physics Teacher (Had him for 3 yrs). I didn’t get an A in the class. (I got a low B) but he knows I worked hard even though I struggled with the 3rd semester of Chemistry and the 1st semester of Physics.
Counselor Rec: Good but a little generic. I didn’t REALLY get to know her until early junior year.
Additional Info/Rec:
Interview: Really good, no awkward moments, had good answers for all of her questions, and it lasted 40 minutes.</p>

<p>Writing (Subject, 1-10 rating, details): 6-7
Why Penn: Good overall: Good intro, okay supporting paragraphs, and a strong finish. I answered the question, and clearly showed what I could bring to the table.
Any dual-degree program essays: nope
Common App Essay: Really good!</p>

<p>Other:
Date Submitted App: 10-27-13
U.S. State/Territory or Country: NJ
School Type: Small, Private, Catholic
Ethnicity: African American
Income Bracket Range: 30,000- 40,000
Hooks (URM, first generation, recruited athlete, development): URM, first generation, and I live in an underrepresented area.</p>

<p>Reflection
Strengths: URM, First generation, Essays, Extracurriculars
Weaknesses: SAT scores, AP Scores, SAT II Scores
Where else were you accepted/deferred/rejected:
Accepted- Fordham, Richard Stockton College, Arcadia University, Mount St. Mary’s University Rejected/Deferred- nowhere had to rescind my apps
What would you have done differently?: Higher standardized test scores if I didn’t get in.
Other Factors:</p>

<p>@Elainaj,</p>

<p>Don’t worry about it. </p>

<p>You have the GPA, the class rank, the AP classes and an SAT that is within the lower end of admits but not outside the range of all students of every race. Your ECs lack some luster but I think they’re honest and at your reported family income and going to a private catholic school, you look like you made the most of opportunities available to you. Putting you in context, you earned your way in but now you will have a huge number of high level opportunities unlike you’ve ever had ahead of you. I advise picking a few passions and running with them. Seek leadership opportunities at Penn and really go for it while keeping an eye on grades. Start your freshman year, don’t do like some kids that want to start slow.</p>

<p>@Madaboutx</p>

<p>Thanks! I know I shouldn’t let it bother me ,but I feel like that when I tell people I got in, the first thing that comes to their mind is because you’re black. I’ll just bury those thoughts. Thanks for the advice for freshmen year. A Penn alumni already told me to take it easy freshmen year, but I want to make a dynamic start, because I’m already thinking about the future. Thanks again.</p>

<p>As far as my advice, it comes from watching my Ds experience at Penn. There are more things to do than can be done and a lot of talented people at the school that are also going for stuff. Some things are pretty competitive because more students are interested than many clubs and groups can accept. Get in early and start having impact early so you can be a leader later. Academics come first of course.</p>

<p>Just want to update to say my D was contacted today for a UPenn interview!</p>

<p>@picktails, that’s nice but don’t read into it. Ivies strive to interview everyone. They don’t pre-sort the applications so it’s completely random. The zero chancers and the shoo-ins are treated the same. Good luck though.</p>

<p>Of course, we are aware that interviews are random and not very important in the decision process. But knowing that not everyone gets the chance, it’s still exciting.</p>

<p>Casually joining this thread…
Beyond excited to see others who are looking at similar schools!
As far as ivies go, I applied RD to Cornell ILR and UPenn (I did LEAD Wharton this summer and fell in love with Penn), but Wellesley College is my first choice- I know, I know “the horror!” I’ll accept your verbal abuse with a smile lol.</p>

<p>Congrats to everyone who has been accepted to ivies so far!!</p>

<p>@lydiamanglin, what are your stats?</p>

<p>@collegebound752 </p>

<p>I knew this question was going to pop up…</p>

<p>I’m going to suppress the urge to pretend I didn’t see your message and not reply (definitely not be rude, but it would literally take me FOREVER to type everything out lol)</p>

<p>I promise to eventually post my stats, maybe when I start to receive acceptances, but I can’t bring myself to do it now- yes, I’m at that level of “senior-year-burnt-out-ness” :)</p>

<p>@collegebound752 </p>

<p>Can I ask what schools you’re applying to?</p>

<p>I completely understand lol. I’m should be doing homework right now but I’ve been procrastinating since 4pm. Gonna be a long night. I’m applying to Brown.</p>

<p>This thread is the bomb</p>

<p>Hey lydiamanglin. My son was just accepted to Cornell ED (UPenn was his second choice) and my daughter is in her fourth year at Wellesley. Both are fabulous schools! Have you had the opportunity to visit either one? Best of luck in your endeavors, in fact good luck to all of you entering the Class of 2018!</p>

<p>Awwwww thank you!! @Jazzpno
Congratulations to your son! I’m starting to like Cornell more and more. Yes, I have had the opportunity to visit UPenn and Wellesley, but I haven’t visited Cornell. Texas is a LONNGGGG ways away from New York lol. My experience at Wellesley was the textbook definition of “perfect” as I participated in the Discover Wellesley Program this fall; I realized Wellesley is everything I’ve ever wanted in a school. I feel like a traitor because I spent a month at UPenn and loved it just the same, but Wellesley is special. Regardless of how everything turns out, I applied to a bunch of FANTASTIC schools and it would be a blessing to be accepted into any of them!
This waiting game foolishness is starting to play with my mind though…</p>

<p>@lydia, what was it about Wellesley that made it your number 1 choice?</p>

<p>What a difficult question to answer and not write a 100 page response- Sorry if it’s too long, I’ll try to condense it!
For starters, Wellesley had BIG shoes to fill after my experience at Penn (I actually told my parents that my college search was over and I was DEFINITELY going to apply ED). When I returned home, I attended a Sister College Convention and was profoundly effected by the prospective students and alumna I met there; It was as if I kept meeting several variations of myself. It takes a specific type of woman to actively pursue an all women’s education and when put together, the dynamics were unlike anything I had experienced before. I was most attracted to the frank intelligence, outspokenness, and confidence of the women I met… I wanted to be like these women. When I visited for the Discover Wellesley Program I kept comparing it to Penn (which it really was nothing like) but all the key components I thought made Penn unique like: diversity, caring professors, architecture, class size, collegiate vibe, interesting students, etc I found at Wellesley and then some. It’s just as much a sisterhood as it is a mentality; it’s me. I want so desperately to be more than just an good employee one day; I want to be the boss :slight_smile:
I have set the bar outrageously high for my life and why not go somewhere that not only breeds successful women to surmount it, but to constantly set the bar higher and higher?</p>

<p>**I’m pretty sure I just condensed my Why Wellesley essay lol. Long story short, it’s not for everyone, but when it’s for you, it’s REALLY for you. The End.</p>

<p>@Lydia, Good luck to you. You made me curious and I reviewed the schools website last night. Wellesley sounds like a very special place. I may add this to my D list of univs to visit in the Boston area. </p>

<p>Did you do LEAD last year? My D participated in LEAD CSI at Stanford. She loved it. She’s currently writing her application for SBI.</p>

<p>@4CookieMonster
Best wishes to your daughter! Disclaimer: I am still actively considering other schools and will make final decisions when I find out where I get in lol. But, I really appreciate your support! Yes, I did LEAD SBI at Wharton last summer and LOVEDDDD it- that’s why I am so biased about Penn. It was hands down one of the best program experiences of my life. Yes, it’s super rigorous, but I’d highly recommend it to anyone who is eligible to apply. I hope she gets in and is able to attend the program at any location!</p>

<p>4CookieMonster, I would second everything that lydiamanglin expressed so beautifully. By all means if you get the chance, make a visit to the Wellesley. The campus is breathtaking! My daughter is in her fourth year, and I am proud and amazed at the young woman she has become. She has always been a smart kid with strong convictions, but she has blossomed into a confident and outspoken force to be reckoned with.</p>

<p>Lydia, I’m sure that you are going to be a great success where ever you go; you have great energy and enthusiasm!</p>