Prospective Class of 2018

<p>I think they made some exceptions in the past, so they just decided to change policy to a harder date.</p>

<p>This is actually giving students one more chance to make a higher score to qualify for scholarships.</p>

<p>That’s great news!</p>

<p>Hi all! I’ve been reading and learning so much about UA over the past several months. I finally decided to join the posting fun after seeing tonight that the engineering scholarships to bump a 30-31 to full tuition are still in place for 2014-15. This should hopefully put Alabama within reach for D. She is super close and taking ACT again in Sept.</p>

<p>Alabama was off our radar, but we visited due to the merit aid we read about here on CC, and D fell in love with the University. They put on a great visit with the Honors Program and engineering complex. D loved the campus and the vibrant greek life. There was just something there that told her this was where she belonged.</p>

<p>I have also started getting excited about the prospect of her attending after all the wonderful things I’ve read. As much as I’d love for her to stay in state, I can honestly say That i will be disappointed if her #1 choice is out of reach due to OOS tuition. </p>

<p>She will go ahead and apply, but wish her luck on the test. She thinks she looks better in crimson than orange ; )</p>

<p>Howdy from Texas! UofA has been growing on me ever since I discovered the Presidential Scholarship. Full tuition would be really great… Definitely will be applying and also planning to visit! Roll tide!</p>

<p>One question though. How is the area around UofA and Tuscaloosa in general? Are there ample employment opportunities and things to do? I’m not looking for a big city, but I definitely want to be around fun shops and restaurants.</p>

<p>TNMomof3 welcome to the UA forum! UA has a lot of students from TN and depending on where in TN you are located, your D might have a shorter drive to UA than some Alabama residents.</p>

<p>In addition to also taking the SAT, common advice on CC is to have your D retest at every possible testing session which is eligible for UA’s merit scholarships in hopes of getting a higher valued merit scholarship. For the class of 2018, that would be the December ACT and November SAT. If your D gets a 32 or higher on the SAT, she would qualify for a full tuition scholarship even if she switches to a major outside of the College of Engineering. Many students bump up their ACT composite score by 2-4 points by studying and retaking the test.</p>

<p>anonymouslyknown, Tuscaloosa is a smaller city of around 100,000 people plus the students on the UA campus. There is a lot of stuff for students to do, but recommended activities really depend on what one enjoys doing. There are a lot of shops and interesting restaurants. As Alabama has a relatively low cost of living, restaurants generally cost less than in bigger cities. Employment opportunities for students vary, but many students do work on and off campus.</p>

<p>“The national December ACT and the national November SAT are the last college entrance examination results accepted for students who want scholarship consideration.”</p>

<p>Actually, the page was just updated today to reflect a change in the national testing dates due to a change in when these tests are offered. For students applying for 2014-2015, the last testing dates will be the national December ACT and the national December SAT.</p>

<p>[FAQ</a> - Undergraduate Scholarships - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/faq/]FAQ”>Frequently Asked Questions – Scholarships | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>When are the last ACT/SAT test dates that you accept?</p>

<p>The national December ACT and the national December SAT are the last college entrance examination results accepted for students who want scholarship consideration.</p>

<p>So, when is everyone expecting to commit? Are there any benefits to doing it in, say, October?</p>

<p>^yes, if I recall correctly, you can put your housing deposit down on October 1st. This will give you an early time to choose housing in the Spring. DD will commit the first day registration deposits are accepted.</p>

<p>Awesome! So exciting!</p>

<p>Edjumacation, please post the link to your FB group. DD can’t find it anymore!</p>

<p>Will do! 10char</p>

<p><a href=“https://www.facebook.com/groups/1403116909903069/[/url]”>https://www.facebook.com/groups/1403116909903069/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I started a new thread for it, but I think the moderator took it down.</p>

<p>I just sent the link to my DS (just in case the link disappears again!) :slight_smile: Thanks for setting that up, Edjumacation!</p>

<p>My son submitted the very simple online application on Saturday! Yay! Other than a receipt in MY email for the fee payment, he has not received any acknowledgement from UA. I thought I saw that some applicants were getting their CWID and myBama login information as quickly as 24 hours? Does this time vary, or was something done incorrectly?</p>

<p>I had to call the school to get my CWID.</p>

<p>Hi! I’m an OOS student applying to Alabama and will be receiving the Presidential scholarship. I’m wondering if there will be other opportunities to receive more merit aid, or if that is the highest amount possible? I definitely won’t be receiving much financial aid, but sadly my parents will be contributing almost no money to my college, so merit aid is definitely needed. thanks!</p>