Prospective Engineers: any questions?

<p>how easy/hard is it to get internships from purdue? i would definitely like to get some work experience, and wouldn’t mind if it takes 5 years for me to graduate, as long as i get valuable work experience!</p>

<p>Tigerash: It’s probably the same difficulty as it would be at any other school. However, Purdue does get a lot of companies to come and recruit students. I’m guessing you’re a prospective engineering student. We have IR (Industrial Round Table) and Expo for career fairs. I think both focus on engineers, and these are very big events. </p>

<p>If you don’t mind taking 5 years, look into the Purdue Co-op program. You interview 1 time in the spring of freshman (or sophomore) year with a couple different companies. If you accept an offer, you work with that company every other semester. Locations of companies include Chicago, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Boston (and that’s all that I can remember my friends doing. There are other locations).</p>

<p>What are your experiences or your friend experiences with coming into Engineering from UPS if you know of any?</p>

<p>What is UPS?</p>

<p>Hi I am wondering what my chances of being accepted to the Nuclear engineering program at Purdue.
3.26 unweighted gpa
1830 SAT
AP physics coming up sr year
Internship with a local engineering firm coming up sr year
Taken every available engineering course at my high school
Thanks</p>

<p>USP is the undergraduate studies program aka undeclared/undecided. I know of one person that did that. He’s not gonna graduate in 4 years, probably 5. He’s actually abroad in Australia right now and a cheme. I’d have no idea that he was older than us if he never mentioned it.</p>

<p>USP is now Exploratory Studies now so maybe you know that one, Seirsly?</p>

<p>Aaah, yep. I’m not good with acronyms. You just gotta be on top of all the deadlines and stuff because a lot of people try to CODO into engineering, so all the mandatory CODO sessions are pretty packed, and you have to get your adviser to sign stuff and have a meeting with them. I’ve known 2 people who’ve successfully CODO’d with no drama, one is now an EE, one is a Civ. E. I know one who was not able to CODO and then transferred to a different college (he was failing too many classes and couldn’t finish the paperwork on time).</p>

<p>Hey guys, I am a female going into the field of mechanical engineering. I have heard all of the stereotypes that engineering girls will have men falling all over them because they have two X chromosomes, however I would like to inquire as to whether this is actually the case. I am decent looking, not super hot, but not unattractive either, and I like to think of myself as fairly friendly and outgoing. I would also like to inquire as to whether the majority of engineering guys are really as socially awkward as society would have me believe. I like geeky guys and find awkwardness to be endearing–to a point. This point being awkward in the way that a really tall person is, not awkward in the way that we can’t hold a simple conversation. Furthermore, please advise me on the best ways to attract engineering guys. Thanks so much! xxoo</p>

<p>Integrate your way into his heart :wink: im just kidding, an engineer is a person, also a person you seem to share common ambitions with (hence the engineering major) just work your way around the student body; you’ve got nothing chasing you :slight_smile: good luck</p>

<p>That was a great question ashley.</p>

<p>Alright as an OOS student I’m going to apply ea and I was wondering when does one finally figure out the cost they have to pay to go to the school. In this case purdue. I’d like to keep costs below 20k a year which is a bit under half the tuition and r&b costs- how good is their financial aid.</p>

<p>Sherwoodbrad- I’m no expert, but at my “Experience Purdue” visit they told us scholarships are given out by the college you are attending. So if you get accepted into the College of Engineering, you are competing against the other kids accepted to the COE for scholarships. </p>

<p>As you can imagine, this makes getting scholarships pretty tough, because the COE average admit had a 31 ACT and a 3.9 GPA.</p>

<p>Purdue coe test averages for the admitted class of 2012 </p>

<p><a href=“Home - Office of Future Engineers - Purdue University”>Home - Office of Future Engineers - Purdue University;

<p>ACT 27-32 (29.5), SAT 1760-2050 (1901), ave gpa 3.7-4.0 (3.82)</p>

<p>Numbers within the parenthesis is the mean of the range.</p>

<p>I would apply for scholarships. Remember nothing ventured nothing gained.</p>

<p>Thank you guys so much. My concern doesn’t lie in the getting in, well a little, but affording OOS is tough. I’m going to have to pay for my education all by myself. No I’m not poor my family just never saved money for me to go to college. I hate how people in state don’t realize how lucky they are to have such an awesome school in state</p>

<p>What is CODO?? Thanks!</p>

<p>MODERATOR’S NOTE: Please use old threads for information only. Start a new thread if you have other questions.</p>