Prospective student interested in inside perspectives

<p>Hey, I’ve just got a few questions about the university, and I came here because I find that students casually answering questions tend to offer a more clear picture of the university (Not just people paid to hype it up or people bitter about bad experiences).</p>

<p>So, I mainly had questions about the social life here. I have heard A LOT about the Greek system. I’m a guy who isn’t interested in going Greek (scholarship money to live on campus free), but I will be in the honors college. I have heard that if you aren’t Greek, you will be looked down upon and have a hard time getting involved / making friends. Just how true are these allegations, and will being in the honors college help ameliorate the situation?</p>

<p>I was also interested in the general atmosphere around the school (outside of the Greek system). I have heard everything from “these are the nicest people in the world” to “everyone is racist, cruel, and judgmental”. I would be coming here without knowing anybody, so I’m curious if this is a campus where it is easy to break the ice, act natural, and have a good time socially. If any students / alumni have some perspective they are willing to share, I would really appreciate it!</p>

<p>PS - I’m in the honors college, and I’m going to major in engineering undecided (probably going to switch to chemE), and I’m a pretty outgoing guy. If that helps!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Absolutely not true. Comb through the many posts on this topic here and you’ll see that there are innumerable happy non-Greeks at UA. Non-Greeks represent the majority population at Bama.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The former is pretty darn close to the mark. The latter assessment is itself judgmental, cruel, and ignorant.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yes, that’s what my son discovered to be the case. He’s from WAY out of state, came to Bama knowing nobody, is in the HC, and thinks he’s in heaven.</p>

<p>Welcome to UA. Ask all the questions you like. There are a ton of folks here eager to help.</p>

<p>You should be fine. My D came to UA without knowing anyone except for a few people she met at Capstone Scholars Day and CBHP weekend. She has many friends now. Her group of friends keeps on growing because the other kids bring their friends into the circle. I think it is fantastic. </p>

<p>They are other ways to get involved on campus. One way to consider is through the Honors College itself. You can try out to be part of the Honors College Assembly or a Capstone Man, I think it’s called. My D is involved in 3 groups/clubs and that seems to be all she can handle right now. Once you are a student, you will receive several emails a week indicating many areas where you can serve and make your mark. It is amazing, the number of opportunities that she can’t take advantage of due to other obligations. </p>

<p>I hope this helps. I am a mom of a freshman EE major. (BTW she is not in a sorority, no time). Roll Tide!</p>

<p>I was talking to my son today about this thread and how it reminded me about our misbegotten fears about Alabama when we were considering UA. He then told me about how he and a couple friends were walking in a driving rainstorm right befor Spring Break to see other friends of theirs play music at an establishment on The Strip. The roads were pretty empty, but a vehicle with students pulled alongside the wet pedestrians and offered them an unsolicited ride. These folks were complete strangers to my son and his pals.</p>

<p>“That’s the kind of thing that happens nearly every day here,” my son said. “The kind of thing we’d never see back home.”</p>

<p>my daughter also came to UA without knowing a soul there. she had made one friend at bama bound, and they are still friends.</p>

<p>she wasn’t in a sorority her first year, but she is now. some of her friends now are people she met her first week at UA. she also has a pretty close group of friends through her roomies and one of the church groups. she has plenty of social things to do, more than she even wants or CAN do.</p>

<p>she is in ChemE and also has a group of friends through that.</p>

<p>she was fine without the sorority. she is fine WITH it.</p>

<p>as long as you get out and do things, you will find plenty of friends and things to do.</p>

<p>I have heard that if you aren’t Greek, you will be looked down upon and have a hard time getting involved / making friends.</p>

<p>=========</p>

<p>Since most people aren’t Greek, how could this be? “Looked down upon by who”?? This isn’t high school. </p>

<p>Neither of my kids pledged, and they made plenty of friends and were/are very busy with clubs and activities.</p>

<p>Actually, as an engineering major, especially male, there really aren’t that many who pledge. Frankly, the eng’g majors are often too demanding to have the time. </p>

<p>Bama is not a racist school. At any school there will some people with some crazy or racist thoughts, but that happens everywhere. If Bama were racist, do you think so many AA kids would choose to go there?</p>

<p>First off, thank you very much for your insight! I’m sorry if my original post sounded like I was into bad preconceptions of the school; I have visited the school, and I liked it a lot, and I was just relaying some concerns I have heard from some small corners on the internet. I’m having a really hard time deciding between here and my hometown school, so I’m just making an effort to find some perspective on some of the nuances of the college experience.</p>

<p>Thank you to everybody who answered!</p>

<p>Piling on here…</p>

<p>Son is a freshman Chem E major from North Carolina. He didn’t know a soul at Bama before he went down to interview for the Computer Based Honors Program. He met a few classmates there who became his roommates. He has had no shortage of activities or friends. His only heartache has been leaving a girlfriend behind in NC. It has been a long year for them, but she’ll be happily attending games with him next Fall!</p>