PSA - Fall "transfer" 2020 - Updates, Q/A, Information

Hallelujah!! My son woke up to 7 tabs! What’s next

@wewait

Great news!
Most likely by tomorrow morning your son’s AIS will update to ‘Accepted’ and then he can sign up for NSC. There is some NSC work (online) they are required to do prior to orientation starting.
Then look out for official acceptance /banner in regular mail :smile:

@wewait Congratulations! You will probably get the acceptance by noon. Then he can register for NSC and Transfer Camp. There will be lots to do once NSC starts. We started the parent/student portions of NSC and we are spinning a little. Lots to do!

@OMGdontblink

I haven’t seen any info on Transfer Camp yet. Is it an in person event or virtual like NSC? Are there several dates offered?
I read that Fish Camps will be in person and attendees need to self quarantine for 14 days afterwards. Guess students need to factor that in when selecting camp dates with the Fall semester now starting that wee bit earlier.

@scotsfi See this link below:

https://atc.tamu.edu/

My son won’t be doing it (personal choice even after a lot of encouragement from us).

@JaceyK

Thanks for the link - appreciate it :smile:

@Scotsfi Sorry I just saw you comment below. The link that JaceyK provided is correct. When the camp dates showed up there was a register button on the page. Maybe they are full? I am sure you can contact them and find out. They also have a Facebook page.

Anyone have NSC this Thursday-Friday?

@libbyshims

We do!
The Aggie Parent & Family Connection info/videos have been SO insightful/informative. My son registered me as family/guest for his NSC so have received many emails with links for resources.

@Scotsfi @libbyshims Yes, my son does! My son is doing this solo - I am not registered. Just pray he doesn’t miss anything!

Most classes are going online. I just posted on other thread. But my junior sons courses all moved to online for the fall. Not happy about it.

So I discovered my son has not been reading or keeping up on his school emails - he had something to complete by 5 p.m. today (before NSC tomorrow) but guess what? He’s working until 8 p.m. tonight. I’m so frustrated but staying out of it. He’s got to learn somehow, right?

This thread is alive so I’m going to ask
If I claim AP credit at the school I’m attending currently (Blinn Bryan) will it transfer to A&M? I’m planning on applying to May’s next year. I already have all the required coursework completed and am just trying to raise my amount of completed hours without actually having to retake any classes. Looking at claiming American Government and U.S. History, specifically.

@JaceyK @Scotsfi - I had him register me also, and have received links to videos, but with work I’ve been slammed. Agree - he has to do this alone.

@JaceyK as I was typing my above comment…son comes down and tells me all 3 of his roommates for next year have bailed. I said ooohhh that stinks. Better call the landlord and see what the options are! So hard to sit on my hands. lol

@JaceyK @libbyshims

My tack was I’d watch the videos sent to me, he’d see to & attend the virtual NSC then on Friday evening we’d share our thoughts and the schedule of classes he’d worked out with the help from academic advisor. There’s course/class info only he can access so as long as he’s on track to be checking off boxes on his degree planner then all is good.

There’s just so much uncertainty right now I can see why students’ (& their families) plans are shifting within the slightly - significantly spectrum.
@libbyshims Hope your son’s living situation has a positive resolution.

@libbyshims oh my! Did he rent by room? Does he know why they bailed? Hopefully it works out!!

@JaceyK they luckily pay by the room so each one has their own lease. 3 very different and hard situations. Just thankful that we are only responsible for his lease and not the other 3. I am guessing with all that is going on and classes going to virtual for some (if not all) there are going to be lots of broken leases. My job is real estate contracts and compliance, so I was all over that lease when he signed in Feb. for this very reason! lol. Let’s keep in touch this weekend after the NSC. I hope your son is able to get his modules in so he can register! Sending good vibes!

AP credit doesn’t count for hours earned when trying to meet the minimum to transfer. You have to have 24 graded credits completed in order to apply. They will not look at fall grades for spring admission but will look at spring grades for the fall (as in you can be completing 24 credits and they may defer for spring grades).

If I’m misunderstanding your question… then I will say don’t ever accept AP credit until you have to. so no, don’t accept it at the junior college level.

@libbyshims @JaceyK @Scotsfi
I don’t check for two days and it blows up! My son did is NSC two weeks ago and I did not hoover. I walked by a few times and could tell he was very bored. I watched all the parent modules and they were very informative. JaceyK if you want to give me your email I can forward the parent NSC emails to you, it might work. My son decided not to do T Camp after it went online. I am so disappointed. I want him to feel the Aggie spirt! libbyshims, sorry that happened to you guys. I wonder how they can just break there lease like that. I hope he gets good roommates soon.

There were classes that were closed in my son’s major he could not sign up for ahead of the advising time of NSC. But when he met with his advisor she got him right into the proper classes. It should all work out.