PSA - Fall "transfer" 2020 - Updates, Q/A, Information

@scotsfi @libbyshims @JaceyK

I forgot to tag you on my post above.

I figured it would be optional. No worries!!!

My Islander received a notice of financial aid for next year. I called the financial aid office at CC and asked about PSA students going to College Station if the award would transfer. She said no, but to be sure and check your FAFSA. If you have CS listed they should have something for you. I was able to login to the Howdy portal and then into financial aid (DS was required to do duo authentication). We saw there were 2 things that needed to take place. One was a verification of outside aid, and then final acceptance to CS. We did the verification and that moved to the beloved green checkmark. :wink:

@tisulli My son is in this class. How do I message you privately?

Has anyone contacted Texas A&M to ask how they are handling PSA if student chooses P/F at their TAMU system school?

This is addressed on TAMUCC’s Coronavirus FAQ Links - go to the Pass/No Pass Policy section. It has many scenario questions & one is specific for PSA students. Also the PSA advisor there is excellent if you had any further questions - just email him directly. I think you’d need to get his input/authorization to act on this should you wish to pursue along the P/NP route.

@Radspies Oops - I inadvertently assumed your student was at TAMUCC
my apologies if that’s not the case.

@Scotsfi - No, he is at Tarleton.

Ah OK! You should still be able to access the link/info you wish on the TAMUCC main website page 
it’s open to all. If you’re still having difficulty just let me know & I can copy & paste what’s posted there.

Any Tamu CC PSA kids get an email about the Pass/No Pass option and what it means for PSA students? @Scotsfi @JaceyK

@libbyshims @JaceyK

Hope things are good with y’all.
Once the decision was taken by TAMUCC they created a comprehensive Pass/No Pass section on their Coronavirus FAQ link. (It’s on their main web page so it’s accessible to everyone.) It is has many scenario questions & one is specific for PSA students.

Q. I am a PSA student, can I opt in for Pass/No Pass?

A. “Texas A&M University Office of Admissions has approved acceptance of final spring semester 2020 grades that are reported on transcripts as Pass §, Satisfactory (S) or any other related equivalency to satisfy any specific grade requirement listed on the course sheets for the Program for System Admission.”

Having read this P/NP section myself several times, I feel the strong message coming thru is to ask lots of questions to the right people first before making your final decision. There’s also a list of classes at TAMUCC that are not eligible for P/NP on that section link.

For our guys the starting off point would be Bill Coari (PSA Advisor at TAMUCC) & I do think you’d need to get his input / guidance / authorization should you wish to consider the P/NP route further.

@Scotsfi @jaceyk
After much conversation in our home, my son sent an email to Stephanie Love (the contact in CS, Bill Coari gave us.). Below is a copy of his email to her and her response:

Good Morning Ms. Love,

I am a PSA student at Texas A&M Corpus Christi and it was recently brought to my attention that we have a Pass/No Pass option. I would like to do it for Math 1325 (Business Calculus). I believe it is called MATH 142 at College Station. If I do this, will it affect my admission? Is there a chance I’ll have to take it again? Do I still get credit hours for the class? Finally does it have any possibility of lowering my gpa? As you can see, I have a lot of questions so I hope you can help me out. Hope you’re staying safe during these rough times.!

Thank you for your email request.

The Office of Admissions will accept the pass/fail policy. The choice is up to you. The decision to choose pass/fail affects your admission in the following ways:

Basically, if your GPA from the fall semester was above the 3.0 GPA requirement for PSA, then choosing pass/fail is a viable option. The pass/fail grades are not calculated into the GPA. As long as you pass your classes, the credits will transfer. You are not required to retake any classes that you pass when choosing pass/fail this spring semester.
If your GPA was below 3.0 in the fall and you are concerned about guaranteed PSA admission, you should choose letter grades in order to boost your GPA.
Again, we will accept pass/fail grades and those grading choices are not calculated in the GPA. However, you may want to consider letter grades if your GPA was below 3.0 in the fall 2019 semester. If your GPA was not below the 3.0 requirement, pass/fail is sufficient as long as you pass your classes this spring.

@libbyshims
You have had a productive day! Great job on getting direct input from the key sources at both CC & College Station campuses. Hopefully this will make the decision easier.

@Scotsfi not gonna lie
there may have been some shouting involved
 :wink:

@libbyshims thanks for that information! Good to know.

Hi, I was wondering how the financial aid process works as a PSA student? Are you still eligible for scholarships when you transfer as a PSA back to college station?

I am looking forward to be part of the PSA program this upcoming year, but I am very confused and slowly learning. I am currently 18 and high school is about to come to its end. I was part of an early college and I did a lot of dual enrollment. I plan on transferring to college station for aerospace engineering. I already emailed them and got a coursework schedule of what classes I need to take. I need a 3.5 GPA, A’s in all my courses and an impressive resume if I want to be one of the 4 transfer students out of the 210 undergraduate sophomore aero students. So, in other words, it will be very hard. I got a C in my general chem 1 and I failed my general chem 2. This was due to a lot of factors this past year, but I would love to Ace these classes in the PSA program and hopefully get rid of those grades. I don’t know if that is possible. My gpa for dual enrollment in TAMIU is about 3.1. I will also not have a lot of financial support from my family because we are very poor and have been greatly affected by the coronavirus emergency. I had saved enough to buy myself a car as I am moving from Laredo, TX to Corpus Christi. I hope to find a job in the University and also that financial aid will help me a lot. I plan to apply for housing, but I have no idea what options there or what I will be paying or really anything at all. I have already been accepted and I have already enrolled for the “Islander Launch” (New Student Orientation) for July 20, so I need to have everything ready by then. I also don’t know what transcripts or what not I need to send, but I am in the process of checking off courses I have already taken to figure out what I need to take to complete the 24 hours. I also need to send proof of the Meningitis Vaccine. I feel loss, but I am slowly researching everything. I don’t even know how I am gonna come up with that “impressive resume”. Hopefully someone here has advice on any of the things I have talked about and that’s the end of my vent, thank you for reading.

Edited to add - I looked at the TAMU PSA page and I don’t see aerospace engineering as a participating major.
http://admissions.tamu.edu/psa/

You have several very particular issues, A lot of time folks on this board recommend transfer vs PSA for students that have a lot of dual credit. But a lot of that depends on what credits you have. @AggieMomhelp may have better advice. But an academy VS Corpus Christi seems more realistic.

Also I’m all about back-up plans. What if you don’t get into Aerospace? Is there other engineering that interests you? If not, have you considered another college, like UT Arlington that has an aerospace program? They seem to have a decent merit scholarship program, depending on your test scores/rank.

@Dallas03 I am sorry I don’t have an answer for you. Have you tried to contact the financial aid office at TAMUCS?

My Daughter is PSA at Corpus Christi. She has been Deans list with a 4.0 + the entire time there. One of her friends recieved acceptance to CS campus already even though final grades are not in. None of her other PSA friends have heard back and neither has my daughter. She is a shoe in but why would someone have gotten their acceptance already. (Their twin sister did not even though she has better grades).