PSA - Program for System Admissions

@alstro Re: scholarships - their website says that PSA students do not get university merit scholarships: “*Students admitted in the Program for System Admission (PSA) program are not eligible for these University scholarships. A student opting out of the PSA program within one year of attending Texas A&M University-Commerce as an incoming freshman student, may be reconsidered for the scholarship if funding is available.” I couldn’t find any other information for “merit” scholarships so maybe they have changed things due to having funds left over.

Are any original BIMS majors pursuing PSA? If so, what majors are you (or your kids) choosing? My son chose biochemistry as it was most closely aligned with the degree plan for BIMS (with some exceptions). We will see how this path turns out (if he chooses PSA - we still have to do the visits).

Has anyone heard from Tarleton since they submitted their campus options?

My daughter is thinking of CC too.

@tisulli … was just going to ask the same question re Tarleton. We have heard back from 3 of the 4 my son selected. CC; Commerce & WTAMU. Currently home for Spring Break - but may drop an email/call tomorrow for clarification.

@tisulli and @scotsfi I just got off the phone with Molly (had a couple of questions re: prerequisites for the classes in bold), and I just remembered at end of call to ask about any delays in receiving our information. She said the school on their side didn’t have any issues BUT that they had just received files for 200+ students today so they are rolling in finally!

@Scotsfi and @JaceyK thanks for the updates. It’s reassuring that they’re finally receiving files. I was ready to kick them to the curb! My son will be happy to hear the news. And, with 200+ files, our kids should be able to find “their people” during the first two semesters of their aggie adventure.

@tisuli I really liked what Molly had to say about what they do for the PSA kids - activities to help them comingle with each other. Hopefully there will be other formerly BIMS majors converted to BioChem majors there. LOL

I called Tarleton housing again today and received a completely different response about building and room selection. I was told that they do their best to accommodate building and room requests/preferences. The rooms are assigned by housing coordinators so that part of the first conversation is the same as today. I still don’t feel confident with the answers provided…I was obviously speaking to a student that had limited knowledge both times. So, I emailed housing and asked for clarification. Will update when I receive their response.

@JaceyK great to know they have activities! That was a big concern for me when we were making the decision to go the PSA route. My son was very adamant about staying at the same university and developing friendships just once when our search began (what feels like 100 years ago).

I feel a huge relief with today’s information shares. Thanks everyone! =D>

My daughter really wanted BIMS but is choosing Biochem for now. We are speaking to advisor tomorrow regarding dual credits and her future goals. Luckily she was previously accepted to TAMuCC so she already has student ID and scholarships in place so I was told all of that will remain the same just she will transfer to PSA program. I called TAMU because her status still looks the same. I was told it takes 2-5 business days for campuses to receive ppwk but they have received her response. She suggested clearing cookies and refresh AIS.

Just finished our tour of WTAMU. Lovely campus. Seem to give PSA students priority with housing and class availability. Their student life is a big part of campus living. Lots of new buildings… Ag building and barn, football stadium, co-Ed dorms… we are impressed, they have a Preview Day set for March 23rd. We were told it’s the safest city in Texas… as far as crime rates… so that’s a plus. Let me know if you have any specifics I may can answer.

@tisulli @JaceyK My son just received his PSA acknowledgment email from Tarleton - …hopefully 199 + others will also

1 Like

@Scotsfi my son just received his acknowledgment from Tarleton too. It says to allow 3-5 days for processing.

FINALLY things are rolling!!

My son has received both Commerce and Tarleton. He was originally BIMS but he’s decided to go another route and chose Applied Mathmatical Science. We will tour both on March 25th and 26th and make a decision.

Well son is at work: however, he told me before work that he would rather go to TAMU CC. So now we have rearranged schedule and will visit that campus on 22nd. Merry go round keeps spinning!!! I wonder how long before we hear from Corpus campus.

@JaceyK just know yours isn’t the only one flip flopping! My daughter was waiting on her response from CC when she came home yesterday from school and said she was going to Blinn now instead. We were happy she didn’t want to be in Corpus anymore but really feel she would enojy Tarleton better. She’s pre-vet and their animal science program might have kept her there. Maybe next week she’ll flip again :slight_smile:

@jaceyk We met personally with BIMS advisor today at CStat main campus. PSA Chemistry or wildlife fisheries will work just fine. Biochemistry is a heavy load with those engineering maths and Bus Math 141/142 fulfill the BIMS math requirements. There’s a lot of flexibility if your son plans to follow BIMS upper level. PSA advisor had also suggested chemistry, but BIMS gave us much better direction.

Son got his official acceptance email into CC. He accepted PSA on March 4th evening, so 8 business days to make if official for those of you waiting. :slight_smile:

congratulations to your son @libbyshims!! CC was on the ball, unlike some of the other choices. My son accepted PSA the same evening and just received the first email from Tarleton yesterday.

I’m sure you’re happy the wait is finally over. :D/

Got my PSA letter in the mail and shredded it immediately