PSA - Program for System Admissions

Congrats, @libbyshims ! I’m happy you can leave this particular stress behind, even if it means moving on to different stress. :slight_smile:

Great news @libbyshims !! I hope things go well for your son and family with this next chapter.

@libbyshims Congratulations! I will let y’all know if my son decides on TAMU CC - we are going on tour next Friday (week from tomorrow).

@JaceyK keep me posted. We were able to get his islander email etc. set up and he is now registered for Islander Launch where he registers for classes. Best of luck to everyone. I’ll try to keep updating as the process moves forward so people can have a reference for next year too.

Just back from our Tarleton visit. It was so nice we immediately drove to the bookstore and bought shirts for both girls, so I guess it’s official. After Commerce the girls knew they could do it for a year, but there wasn’t a settled feeling.

The tours that included housing were booked this week so we booked one without and showed up super early to beg entrance to a different one. We barely finished our request when they went out of their way to say no problem. They even edited the welcome sign to include their names. Later when they didn’t show the dorm the girls wanted to see most they took us on a private tour via the golf cart. Super impressed with their willingness to go above and beyond without an ounce of acting put out. They truly seemed as if they wanted you to love the campus as much as they did.

The campus is the same size as Commerce but SO much nicer. The welcome center, the presentation, the energy of the tour guides - everything was just so much more professional. You can tell there is a strong sense of community. The buildings are all pretty small, but nicely done and smelled good. A weird thing to mention but it was noticeable! The dorms aren’t even in the same league as the ones at Commerce. Stephenville is so much nicer as well. There is actually a town. We all feel great about the decision to choose Tarleton. It has a lot of traditions that are similar to CS. No walking on the grass. Standing for games. Lots of school spirit. It was such a polite campus as well. Doors are held open. People say please and thank you.

The girls feel really good about it. They went from feeling like they were just going to have to get through their year to now looking forward to enjoying their year as well. If you are on the fence I highly recommend you check it out. It’s cheaper than Commerce as well.

Feeling discouraged realizing the intense competition to transfer into BIMS after PSA. Is it easier/less competitive to transfer into Biology instead?

If your ultimate goal is vet school, bims is not the only route. Make sure you have all prerequisites to apply to vet school. And do well in those classes. Biology. Zoology, bio chem etc. there are many paths to vet school

@AggieMomhelp @bluebird94 @Mommydoodle Thank you all so much for the information and support during this confusing time. I just need to present all options and let her make her first major life decision. Mama bear needs to let her decide. Lol

@alstro (or anyone who knows!), who’s the PSA person at Commerce? I can’t find that information anywhere and I’m frustrated. I want my son to contact the PSA advisors at the schools we visit to set up appointments when we tour. I have Molly Stewart @ Tarleton and Bill Coari at CC, but haven’t found anyone referenced at Commerce.

@daleNchip Sorry, we didn’t get that far into the process to find out.

@alstro , who did you talk to at Commerce? Just the standard tour guide folks?

My daughter knew she wanted to do PSA over her other college admission options, so we only did the normal campus and housing tour as a formality because we were sure she was going to Commerce. It’s the closest and my niece did her PSA year there. We only had time in the morning to tour, so we planned on going back to talk to the PSA person once her paperwork was entered and she was officially admitted.

Later that night her and her roommate who also got PSA couldn’t shake the unsettled feeling and decided to visit Tarleton too. That visit took us in a whole different direction since they both decided Tarleton was a much better fit. Once that happened we didn’t do anything else with Commerce.

@alstro , thanks. :slight_smile:

Anyone else finding that Commerce does NOT have your kid’s paperwork? He logged onto myLeo (their version of myHowdy) and every single item in his application is listed as “outstanding”. I assume that means they don’t have it rather than “OMG, this candidate is OUTSTANDING!” :)) He was out of the country over Spring Break, so will call tomorrow to ask about it. Wondering if anyone else was seeing the same or if they’ve lost his paperwork.

@daleNchip the PSA contact info is in the brochure:

http://admissions.tamu.edu/admissions-staging/media/Main/pdfs-pta/PSA-brochure.pdf

eta:
my son’s info looks like it was received. it has dates under outstanding so I assume it’s been received.

@tisulli , thanks! I clearly did not look at the back of the brochure. Or the front. Maybe I’m not a brochure kind of gal. Ha!

Interesting that Jody Todhunter is listed as the PSA contact at Commerce. He’s the director of admissions.

1st time poster but lurking for awhile. Daughter in Cypress area got PSA’d so is thinking about TAMUCC. She TexasApp major was public health but now wants biology but tamucc does not have biology, only biochemistry. She accepted psa and selected tamucc on March 6 but does not have her ids or anything. Concerned that it’s been12 days. I plan on calling tomorrow but anyone else experiencing this long a delay?

@chugie My son accepted PSA on 3/7 for 3 different schools (Commerce, Corpus & Tarleton) - so far he has only been accepted to Commerce. I do believe he will hear back by end of this week - the advisor for CC said 1-2 weeks after so hopefully by Wednesday/Thursday this week. Also, in re: major, they are “undeclared” at the PSA schools even though they will choose a major for cstat. I know that there are very few biology related PSA majors to choose from so my son chose biochemistry. He is going to align his coursework with biochemistry degree plan for now (it does closely resemble the biomedical science degree plan somewhat - there are some questions we have about it and will be bringing up to the advisor when we visit on Friday). Anyway, see if the coursework for Biology is somewhat similar to biochemistry or possibly another biology related major. After your daughter transfers to cstat and has completed at least 12 hours in CStat (so Spring of sophomore year), she may be able to request a change of major so long as she satisfies the requirements for that major. I would have your daughter meet with advisor in Cstat when she starts her sophomore year to set up a plan for a successful change of major. Good luck!!

When my son spoke yesterday with Mr. Jody Todhunter at Commerce (Director of Admissions), he was told they had received over 300 PSA applicants. He did not indicate if that was more than previous years.

@daleNchip - thanks for making my day, I laughed so hard with your “outstanding” comment :slight_smile:

my daughter did not hear from Tarleton, West TX and CC yet, she got an acceptance e-mail from Commerce. Her interest in all these is very low and I’m hoping it will change before May 1. I have asked (almost push) her to visit at least one of these campuses while she was on spring break, but she said no. Currently, she is saying, she’ll go to Purdue. She is back to boarding school today (spring break is over and so is her chance to visit these campuses), she’ll not be back to TX until after HS graduation. When do parents take over the college decision making process, hehehehehe ? Or any persuasive way of “guiding” their decisions?

I hope she’s not in this forum :slight_smile:

@aponiventoy, what’s the downside to Purdue? The extra ~$16k cost? The lack of a sure-fire “transfer” admission that she’d get via PSA (meeting the requirements)? I’m not belittling the extra $$$ (my kid got the choice of “which of these 32 public in-state colleges would you like to attend?”), but if you said Purdue was an option for an entire degree I’m not sure how you go back and say it’s not an option for just one year.

My kid just wants all this to be done so I will stop bugging him about it. I’m a woman of action. He is a man of inaction, paralyzed with fear over even minor decisions. It is hard to be the only child of a Type AA mother. It’s equally hard to be the Type AA mother of an indecisive child. I feel like I’m in a straight jacket but I know I have to give him the reins.

If you need me, I’ll be over here raking like hell in my Zen garden. X_X