PSA - Program for System Admissions

@libbyshims @OMGdontblink @JaceyK @Scotsfi @alstro @daleNchip @wewait and others

Once the Spring grades are sent, it takes about 2 weeks to process at A*M and students receive their notification of admission the first week of June. You then accept or decline the offer by signing up for NSC.

My son just finished his year in the PSA program at WTAMU. He had a great experience there, only complaint was the food in the Caf and the cold weather. ? He is sad to leave but his heart is in CStat. He made wonderful friends, enjoyed his professors and loved being involved in different activities on campus. He is now waiting on his grades to be entered, (they have been received) in AIS, everything else has a green check. I’m assuming two more weeks of waiting? He wants to change his major and I’m wondering if this is possible and what steps does he need to take for this to happen? Should he talk with an advisor within the department first or a professor in the department? I hate for him to check the box to request a change of major if it will delay his offer. Thanks for your advice!

First, congrats!!! Glad he had a great experience and got the job done.

As for your question… They are so strict on psa students and change of major. A prof will know nothing about this. An advisor may be helpful but I would think he needs to get the nod that he met requirements first. Maybe do a semester current major and then talk to advisor about switching.

I’m going off what I’ve heard and read. Not from experience so take that for what it’s worth. What is his current major and what does he want to change it to?

Can anyone else weigh in who has had direct experience with this?

No first hand experience with changing major after PSA.

Under the FAQ section on PSA, it states “The PSA was designed for students who ARE interested in a participating major. We never recommend using the PSA to be admitted to TAMU with the intention of switching to the major you really want.”

On the broucher on the web page it states “Students admitted to Texas A&M through PSA will be required
to follow the curriculum for the major to which they are admitted. Change of major requests are not guaranteed.”

So, I guess it is possible but as with any change of curriculum, there could be other criteria and conditions and is never a guarantee.

@aggie82 Did your son share this wish to change major with the PSA advisor at WTAMU prior to finishing up his freshman year there? Were they able to help/suggest in anyway? I guess the main thing could be how different his new choice of major is to the required courses he took on his original PSA pathway?

Every class he took was for his desired major, AgBusiness. This was his major at WT but there was one course that he was borderline on so the PSA advisor suggested he change his major, the night before the deadline for submitting his transfer paperwork. If he didn’t do well in that class, he would still be guaranteed admittance to TAMU in the new major, Parks, Recreation, Tourism. As it turns out, he meets all the requirements for a transfer student in Ag Business so maybe we should visit with an advisor in that department.

@Aggie82, my kid’s PSA at Tarleton next year, headed into RPTS. I’m easily confused and not sure what major your son is vs. what he wants to change to between AgBusiness and RPTS. Did he change from AgBusiness to RPTS at WTAMU and wants to change back to AgBusiness at CStat? Or the other way around?

For what it’s worth, we met with an RPTS advisor last November at CStat and they are VERY lenient with transfers into the program. If that’s the direction he wants to go, I would not lose sleep. (Of course you should speak to someone official and not take my word for it.)

Sorry that I wasn’t clear. He was and still wants to be AgBusines (AgEcon). He officially switched to RPTS following the advice of the PSA advisor at WT this spring. He has a 3.2 & required courses in the AgBusiness degree plan. He has met all the requirements for PSA transfer but would like to officially switch back to AgBusiness. Even if he has to stay in RPTS for the fall semester, he will be taking classes for AgEcon

Just spoke to Bill Coari the PSA advisor at TAMUCC. They have 458 PSA students this year. He said that is 100 more than they have ever had before!

@OMGdontblink Wow that is a lot - I know that at orientation, the PSA group was large. Are ya’ll ready? Andrew checks in at 1 p.m. Tuesday - he’s staying in Coral. How about yours?

Excited for all of you and your kiddos. Good luck to all of them. Please check back in and let everyone know how it went, especially at the end of this admissions cycle, for all of those who will get the PSA decision and how it is still possible to be an Aggie and get to Aggieland!!

@JaceyK Brian has lost some of his excitement about starting. He met a girl at the beginning of summer and nothing matters but her. She won’t be going to TAMUCC so he is bummed. Not how we wanted college to start for him for sure. He will be moving in on the 22nd. That’s the earliest we could get him there. He will be staying in Jetty Hall with a random roommate that he picked. I am praying it’s a wonderful experience for him. I have looked everywhere for a map that identifies the residence halls but can’t find one anywhere. Have you seen one?

@Thema2 Thanks! We are praying it will be a good year for all of them and they get where they need to be.

Holy cats!! I wonder how the rest of the PSA schools fared? I haven’t been a big fan of the PSA program at Tarleton thus far (Tarleton, YES–PSA, no). I gotta say Tarleton is doing a great job getting the incoming freshmen excited. My introvert had the time of his life at Duck Camp! While he still says his plan is to transfer to A&M for Rec & Parks, it won’t surprise me a bit for him to stay. We’ll see what happens.

Move-in at Tarleton is tomorrow and Sunday. Good luck, everyone!

Your son should have gotten a Miramar move-in email in islander email account. Open up the attached parking map - you should be able to find Jetty on the map. I thought it weird that none of the campus maps had the halls named. ??‍♀️

@JaceyK thanks he finally forwarded me the email on Friday. It’s going to be an exciting week for all of us!

@OMGdontblink How did move in go? We moved in on move-in day and there was a crew of students in parking lot waiting to help move! Thank goodness because my son’s dorm is on third floor!! My son seems to be settling in well…very anxious for school to start!

@JaceyK his move in went great (other than his roommate was on the wrong side) but it all got worked out. We worried about him making connections because the others had been there longer but he is doing great! He and his roommate are a really good match. His roommate is not PSA but that doesn’t seem to matter at all. They had fun hanging out all weekend and a bunch of them actually left campus Saturday night to go have Cane’s. He started classes today and seems to be very exciting about everything. He even texted me asking questions about things he needs to do for the spring semester. Hope things are going well with Andrew today!

For those at TAMUCC there is an interactive map of the campus. We have had fun playing with it. https://map.concept3d.com/?id=1758#!sbc/?ct/41227

@Thelma2 @AggieMomhelp My kiddo is PSA and currently enrolled in TAMUCC. I have heard on here and also on FB Aggie pages not to turn in all of the AP and dual credit but to only turn them in when advised to do so by the advisor at TAMUCS. Unknown to me, DS turned everything into TAMUCS. All dual credit and AP credit, 30 hours worth. Do you think this is going to hurt him in any way? He is currently enrolled in 14 hours at TAMUCC and will probably take 14 hours in the spring.

@OMGdontblink TAMUCC will show the hours, Dual Credit there is nothing you can do those will count period. There is the concept accepting your AP credits that is a different thing. And that may be done at the individual institution is my understanding.

The number of hours will only become a potential issue if he decides he wants to try and change majors. There are majors out there that will not accept change of major requests for > 65 hours.

When my DD went to TAMUCC, Bill Coari the PSA advisor/director did not have them do anything at all with the AP stuff. Yes they have the scores, but it is not official credit for them until they formally accept the credits. My daughter is in College Station now and and although she can see the AP scores she has not yet accepted them just in case.

I think he should be just fine.