PSA - Program for System Admissions

@WWOODS1 Thank you. I do not believe he sent them to Corpus only College Station. He thought he was being proactive. I guess you are saying they may show up in the system at College Station but that does not mean they are accepted.

Exactly!

@OMGdontblink sorry I just saw this, but Wwoods1 is absolutely correct. DC is an automatic. He should be fine! Tell him to get that solid 3 plus GPA and there will be no worries at all!

AP Credit is by institution. He will have to request and pay for his AP scores to be sent to A&M.
Then, tell him not to accept them until he is advised to by an advisor. He may have to accept some right off the bat if they are required cirriculum for transitioning to A&M via the major.
He needs to request them from College Board way before the semester is over, as it can take a few weeks to be sent after being requested. Then, he needs to check his A&M Portal the second he is formally admitted to make sure that they appear.

My D transfered after Freshman year to another uni and had her scores sent but didn’t check that they all arrived. College Board sent only 1/2 of them. Screwed up her registration and it still took them 2 weeks to send and be show up after it was brought to College Board attention.

Question-
I was hoping to get into at A&M, as an out of state resident, and I didnt get in. I got into the PSA (program for system admission). I would go to one of the participating schools for the 1st year then transfer to A&M the next year. A&M is someplace i wanted to go, not getting admission is pretty disheartening on the first go I was just wondering what would be the best PSA college to go to for the first year if i do decide to go on with it, and transfer to A&M in the second year. The participating schools for the program are listed below.

Prairie View A&M University
Tarleton State University
Texas A&M International University
Texas A&M University — Commerce
Texas A&M University — Corpus Christi
Texas A&M University — Kingsville
Texas A&M University — Texarkana
West Texas A&M University

Thanks for any advice and tips.

@nlv1229 I believe that it would depend on your major. Look at each school’s rep for your major - see if they have extensive resources and the like. Also, look at the map and locate each of those schools. You will find that a couple could potentially be eliminated if they are not geographically desirable for you.

Question: Are you willing to pay full price as an OOS resident for PSA school? Is attending a in-state school for one year and then transferring an option for you?

Tarleton State and Corpus seem to be the biggest appeal. Check out both of them and look at demographics/location/things to do, etc. Maybe make a trip. I know Tarleton is said to have a lot of “country” folk and not a lot to do there. Prairie View is predominately African American and is only 40 minutes away from Cstat main campus. Corpus is probably pretty eclectic but Corpus in general has more Latino and is a fun city (on the water)!!! I know nothing about the other locations. Texarkana is pretty far away though!

Yes- I could attend a ISS but the only thing I would be worried about is I wouldn’t be guaranteed a spot into TAMU after the first year at in ISS if i maintained a 3.0 gpa.

Do you guys have any experiences with the PSA program? I’m just worried and disappointed because I’m so excited for my freshman year but I don’t want to be miserable during the whole time. Especially since TAMU is my top and i’m coming from MA

@nlv1229 Once you accept/decline PSA offer then list of the participating schools you are eligible for will be released (I can’t remember if that only came via snail mail or if it showed up on Howdy/AIS also). There are 8 system schools and depending on your ACT/SAT sub scores you may receive notification of all to choose from or a selection. This list will be pre determined for you. It’s worth doing your homework now and finding out which ones you’d think you’d like from their websites and lots will be having Open Days over the next few months. Geographical location is important for ease of getting to/back home particularly if you’re from OOS 
bare in mind where main airport hubs are ~ but Corpus Christi does have it own (& very cute ;)) International airport which may open up some travel links for you.

@nlv1229 By accepting the PSA offer you are by no means committed 
at this point it’s really just opening doors. Once you decide on which school (s) you then wish to be ‘considered’ for you then let TAMU know & they forward everything to their system school on your behalf 
you DON"T need to send of a new application to each PSA school you select. The ‘considered’ here is different to the considered that has been causing so much frustration this week for Engineering Academy offers. My DS selected 4 schools from his list of 8 - we visited /toured 2 using their Open Day opportunities, then he made his final decision.

oops! - replied to wrong thread. Apologies.

Totally off topic - but my dad went 2 years at Del Mar - before earning an associates degree and enrolling at UT in Chemical Engineering. The job he had to earn the money for UT? Laying stakes in the ground for pouring a runway at that airport.

@nlv1229 I don’t know a lot about the PSA program, but with regards to the campuses

Tarleton is about 100 miles southwest of DFW International Airport. It has a very Texas-y feel to it – they have a super rodeo team! It’s a small school – about 12k students - and they have football, basketball teams, etc.

My nephew went there and loved it. I’ve visited twice and the campus is very pretty, imo. My son would go there in a heartbeat, but they don’t offer Chem E.

A&M International is smaller still and way south - very close to the Mexican border. It’s about a five hour drive to College Station from there. The city of Laredo has an airport, but it’s small, so you’d probably have to take a commuter flight to Houston or Dallas to get back home.

I’ve not been to West Texas A&M, but back in the day it was West Texas State. It’s in the Texas Panhandle in a town called Canyon, which is about 30 minutes or so from Amarillo. I feel sure it has a Texas-y, Western feel to it. If you like hiking and camping, it would be a wonderful spot to spend a year: beautiful Palo Duro Canyon State Park is nearby. (I was going to say it might get cold there, but you’re from New England, so never mind! .)

I don’t think you’d be miserable at any of the schools that are available to you, though I understand you want to be at College Station. Your freshman year will go by so fast, you’ll be amazed! Go “all in”, meet people, get involved (as you have time!) and make it a great experience until you move on to TAMU CS!

Can we discuss the application process? My son submitted his transfer application the first week of January. He requested his transcripts from Tarleton (Fall 2019 semester) and the university that provided his Dual Credit classes in high school. Tarleton has the wonderful green check mark but his DC transcript still has the screaming yellow box with the exclamation mark. I’ve called admissions but received a very unenthusiastic response and instructions that we should just wait. Since it’s been a month, I’m just wondering how long we should wait and if anyone else has experienced this dilemma.

He recently requested his final transcript from Tarleton to be ahead of the game and to meet the June 1 deadline. Does anyone know long the approval process takes? His grades will not be an issue. He finished the Fall semester with a 3.74 and he expects to meet or beat that for his Spring semester.

So, my two questions:

1. How long should we wait on the dual credit transcript that they’ve received but are still processing?
  2. When do they announce the admitted status for PSA transfers?

Thanks! I hope everyone has had a positive experience with the PSA route. It’s been a wonderful experience for my son and I think it will make him more successful once he gets to TAMU-CS.

@tisulli Hi there - I started a thread here a while back for all of the PSA students transferring in Fall 2020: http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/2164195-psa-fall-transfer-2020-updates-q-a-information.html#latest

1. I would call the university providing the DC transcript to make sure it was sent and that it was sent to the correct place. Then I would call TAMU admissions (not sure which number you called - did you use this one? (979) 845-1060).

2. I heard that it was late - like mid June towards end of June. :disappointed: Doesn’t make sense but it is what it is - tip though - someone suggested keeping on top of NSC dates by calling for cancelations on the earlier dates. Might work.

@tisulli We are a couple of weeks behind you in this process. As of this past weekend my son still has 3 screaming yellow boxes :wink: and I’m assuming the the Spring grades transcript one will remain so until end of May at the earliest. When we called CS admissions they said the important thing was they had received everything before March 1st deadline.(They said the yellow box meant received still to be processed) Now things are in process approval
& this could take some time. The reason I called was because the fee box still had a red cross by it & I just wished reassurance that they knew why no application payment had been made. She said being PSA the system would work itself out but eventually to expect ‘what looks like a denial update at some point in Howdy/AIS but it’s really a deferral for Spring grades’ - as a final decision can’t be made til then. May I ask if your payment box is red too?

@scotsfi I can’t help but get a sense that they like jerking us around lol. I am STILL waiting for my son to get his app submitted. :rage:

@JaceyK thanks! I’ll pop over to that thread and catch up. I’ll also follow your advice on the transcript.

@Scotsfi payment box is green. Did you type PSA transfer in Essay A box? I think that was supposed to alert them to the fee waiver.

@Tisulli Thanks! My son did & checked that ‘Are you applying thru PSA’ box. I will follow up with him and see if there’s been any update this week.