PSA - Program for System Admissions

I just asked my son if it’s still a thing and he said no. . So scratch this whole conversation Lolol

1 Like

That makes sense then, as I think your son is a year older then my girl. Not sure how they ever got around it to begin with? But UT fraternities have been doing it for years. We know guys who were UT Sigma Chi…and never attended UT, even for a day🤷🏻‍♀️

You sound knowledge about PSA and our son just started looking through the PSA schools in case it’s the route he is offered. Hoping for the best, but planning just in case of PSA. He really wants to play in the FTAB and be a part of the Corps in CS. It looks like Tarleton and CC have Marching Bands he could do for a year before he transfers. His selected major is Health. Do you know why CC is preferred over Tarleton? Any guidance is appreciated.

@Crickett272 I’d say Corpus Christi is preferred the most, because it’s on the water, decent size city-restaurants, plenty of things to do, airport, recognized campus name. Stephenville wouldn’t be bad-nice size campus, not too far from Ft Worth, pretty area of Texas. Tarleton also appeals to Ag majors, since it’s a heavy Ag school. Commerce doesn’t seem to be terribly popular-no one knows where that is, I rarely hear anyone that loves it so much they decide to stay. Canyon/West Texas usually appeals to those from the Panhandle or West Texas.
There are students who enjoy CC and Tarleton enough, that they decide to stay there all 4 years.
I hear very little about students going to the remaining campuses (I’m sure they do, they’re just not mentioned often).

2 Likes

@Crickett272 I’ve had one son do a PSA year at each CC and Tarleton. The son that went to CC said “Why would anyone NOT want to go to college on an island?” My other son liked the fact that Stephenville was a “college town” and not a small city that contained a college. Stephenville revolves around the university and the students. CC has more to do but also more to be cautious about. (Wheels stolen off cars, certain areas that my son did not feel comfortable in after dark, etc) The students at Tarleton had to kind of make their own fun but that’s not necessarily bad because it can help develop stronger relationships. My Tarleton son was much more involved with his fellow dorm mates than my other son. Neither boy loved their PSA school but both were very determined to get to A&M. Both boys developed a friend group of other PSA students and, therefore, had the core of a friend group when they got to A&M.

3 Likes

Thank you for the information. I’m happy to report that my son received Gateway admission last week! We are thrilled! I wanted to research PSA in case that’s what he was offered, as I like to be prepared. I do have a high school sophomore though so knowing all about the PSA schools is beneficial-just in case. If you have any info on Gateway, I’d love to hear it. My son in joining the Corps of Cadets and FTAB. I believe that means I don’t have to worry about dorms, etc. I just don’t know what I do need to worry about!
I don’t know what I don’t know, ya know? Lol.

1 Like

There’s nothing to worry about for Gateway, that’s the good news! Dorms will be taken care of for summer session 1 and the Corps. I believe you still need to go through Phase 1 of housing if you haven’t already.

Summer 2 they will take courses given to them by advisors. They get at least a 2.0 gpa (so 2 Cs) then they start the fall semester like everyone else. They’ll be in general studies and work with an advisor to transition into intended major.

2 Likes

Do you know when I can purchase a parking pass for him? Another Cadet told us to try to get lot 40 or south side garage as they are closer to Corps housing. Also, is there a cafeteria he can use a meal plan or meal swipes at in the summer?

Go to Howdy portal for parking and it’ll walk you through the steps. Parking passes are mailed out in July for the Fall. Freshman are the bottom of the barrel. They do try to get dorm residents somewhat close to their dorm. Garages run about $500 plus a year and lots are around $350.

There will be limited food options in the summer, but yes there should be one dining hall minimum open and many of the “restaurants” like chick fil a, panda express, Revs, etc. open with limited hours.

1 Like

Parking doesn’t open up until late May or early June. Parking is a lottery draw, so unlike Housing (and pretty much everything else) it doesn’t matter if you sign up 1st day or last. And like @ChristiR93 mentioned, freshman are at the bottom, but living on campus does guarantee a spot (as long as they sign up within the time frame)…somewhere. Don’t be surprised if he gets WCG.
Follow Transportation page and the FB Parent pages for all details re: Parking.

1 Like

For anyone who may get PSA, Tarleton has scholarships based on test scores and class rank. This is my daughter’s “safety school” with wanting to be an Ag major, and they offered her $3,000/year renewable each year. I double-checked with the admissions officer, and was informed that even if she gets PSA her scholarship will still apply. Living in a rural environment right near A&M CSTAT, this school was the most appealing to her. It is worth the visit, as I was HIGHLY impressed with the professors and even the President of the college. (The only weird thing about the campus is the “Purple Poo” spirit squad, but each university has unique qualities.)
NOTE: Based upon the advice of the admissions counselor at Tarleton, my daughter accepted Tarleton and can retract up until May 1st.

5 Likes

Good to know. I’ve been reading good things about Tarleton and Corpus Christi - either one seem okay if my son gets the PSA route and takes that. My son got a full one year scholarship to Kingville A&M, came in the mail a few weeks ago. Anyone know about that place?

Crime down there is higher than average (1/36). Don’t be surprised if you see locals open carry due to safety. The deer/wild game hunting is great down there, but a place that you will want to research and visit if safety is a priority. I’m sure on campus is fine, but most kids will not want to stay on campus the entire time, and will need/want to work. Just some things to consider. Here is one site that will allow you to see the data: Kingsville, TX, 78363 Crime Rates and Crime Statistics - NeighborhoodScout.

1 Like

Hi everyone, making plans for what I think will be offered to my son at this time. How are the PSA colleges offered/selected? I have seen on the website where some people get offered choices and some only one. Is it based on the current major he applied to tamu with? Based on our location we would only go with tamu CC so hoping that would be one of his offers.

We are also debating between straight Blinn and PSA. Following this thread.

Prior to CoVid… PSA system school offers were based off TSI English & Math scores with SAT/ACT equivalents = exemption. Not all of the system schools had the same score criteria which is why some or all of the schools would appear as options for you to consider ONCE you had indicated you were accepting the PSA offer.
Now with test scores becoming optional… I’m not sure how that factors onto it. Perhaps taking TSI subject tests are still available to all in High Schools?
Perhaps if you look at each of the system schools’ admission pages you may find those TSI scores (& equivalencies) info there. You may also even have a preferred system school(s) in mind to check out/ home in on.
Just re -read your original post & see that CC is your system school of choice. They have a very comprehensive PSA section on their website …look for it under Admissions as a acceptance option.

Thanks for the info! As soon as I wrote my original post I found their PSA info on the tamu CC website. Looks like if you meet admission criteria to the university as a regular applicant (not PSA) then you will see that school listed as one of your choices for PSA. So most likely if you are a top quartile student you will see all the PSA choices, at least that’s the impression I got.

That’s so interesting. I thought it was totally based on major and participation of those majors. Had no idea it was based on any scores. Makes sense tho!!!

My daughter is trying to opt out of PSA. Does anyone know how to do that? She declined the offer and then it takes her to a page to withdraw her application…is that right?

That sounds right. What did she decided to do for the fall?