PSA - Program for System Admissions

@daleNchip and @scotsfi Add send final HS transcript - I imagine this won’t ready until June/July.

@daleNchip @JaceyK Better add in ‘Ensure any DC and AP scores are sent from their awarding body’ eg. College Board for AP or Community College for DC. IF students are taking AP exams in May there is a section on their exam paperwork where you can nominate which Schools they wish their AP scores to be sent to automatically when results become available. AP exams start May 6th and students will have made their final college destination decisions by 1st May so will be able to complete this section on each exam paper.

1. On TAMU AIS, complete the process of accepting the PSA offer. THIS DOES NOT COMMIT YOU, but it does tell TAMU you wish to move forward and consider PSA as an option at these schools for Fall 2019. You will have until May 1 to decide if PSA at the selected college is the path you wish to pursue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfPYC6rwDXU
  2. Add school(s) to FAFSA.
  3. Wait for selected schools to get student into system--watch for emails about IDs and logins!
  4. Log in to the school sites with new credentials.
  5. Register for orientation.
  6. Register for housing.
  7. Apply for scholarships.
  8. Check TSI about prerequisites for Math and English. http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/index.cfm?objectid=63176344-FFFA-217B-60C9A0E86629B3CA
  9. Get bacterial Meningitis shot. Maybe it needs to higher up the list as I don't think prospective students can register for orientation without proof of this??
  10. Send final HS transcript
  11. Request AP or DC scores are sent from their awarding body eg. CollegeBoard for AP or the Community College any DC courses were taken at/endorsed by.

FYI - the PSA Course Sheets have updated for 2019-2020

http://admissions.tamu.edu/psa

There was a discussion somewhere about whether or not to apply AP credits and when. Anyone remember that? I want to say it was in the giant 2023 admissions thread. DC is definite, but AP was a maybe. And now I can’t remember why.

@Thelma2 , @AggieMomhelp, @2xAggieMom – any of you know what I am talking about? Or am I dreaming again?

@tisulli , good catch! My kid’s changed slightly and opened up a few options. Thanks for the heads’ up!

@daleNchip I don’t recall that discussion but that’s not to say it didn’t happen. Mine only has DC hours so it likely never made it to the college filing cabinet in my brain. Do you know how to perform an advanced search?

@daleNchip I have read that you should wait to use or accept your AP hours. I’m not sure why but different majors should do different things. You are not crazy! I read it too but somebody else is going to have to address why…

For those of you wondering timelines after you click accept:
Offered PSA - March 4
Received TAMU CC A#- March 6
Acceptance: Waiting.

Will update as we go. :slight_smile:

I assumed that TAMU -CS sent over transcripts etc. along with test scores, LOC and all that. I only updated FAFSA and will send in Men. records.

@dalenchip TAMU suggests never take AP credit until you’re at TAMU and have discussed with an advisor in your major. You can accept AP credit all the way into senior year. There is no rush. There are several reasons why… the first two that come to mind is having too many credits if you ever want to change your major (most have limits on this) and 2nd, your major might require you to take a class you have ap credit for. If you’ve accepted it, you now wasted that credit and since there’s an excess credit law in place (30 credits over degree requirements and you get charged OOS tuition), they may be looking at that as well. Anyone else know more on this???

@libbyshims what is CC A#? is that Corpus Christi’s version of the UIN? we also accepted 03/04 but haven’t received anything from Tarleton. Someone was on the ball with y’all!

@tisulli - yes, that is their version. Deja Vu- clicking on link and entering number to check status. Lovely…I almost missed those last 48 hours of not being obsessive and checking application status! lol

LOL @libbyshims how quickly we forget! I hope you receive admission as quick as you received their email.

@tisulli When I spoke with PSA advisor at Tarleton yesterday morning she did acknowledge there was a glitch in the system at A&M’s end for getting everything send over. She did say in was in hand, being rectified but it would lead to a wee delay in them receiving info from A&M to then make initial contact with prospective PSA students showing an interest in her school/campus. I assumed it was a ‘global’ issue for all system schools rather than Tarleton specifically. …

@Scotsfi thank you for bringing that up again. I assumed it was a global issue too. That should give the Tarleton applicants a break from clicking refresh for a bit…honestly not sure if that’s better or worse! ?

@daleNchip this is on the bottom of the PSA web page. Is there anything helpful in it?
http://admissions.tamu.edu/admissions-staging/media/Main/pdfs-pta/PSA-brochure.pdf

@daleNchip @tisulli @libbyshims The videos on the PSA page of TAMUCC website are working now :slight_smile: It’s very user & parent friendly :wink: Lots of what we may know already but reassuring to hear it once again/have it reinforced from their official campus PSA co-ordinator. It clarifies AP courses nicely (Ques #8 on FAQ section). My son also received an email from CC acknowledging his interest today…& he only selected his system schools last night on AIS.
http://undergrad.tamucc.edu/Anchor%20Team/Program%20for%20System%20Admission,%20PSA.html

@MelB04
Thank you so much for this information it makes it sound more promising. My conversation with the advisor in the Kinesiology department was a little different in that she said she “might” be able to transfer into her intended major but many students are not ultimately successful.
I think I’ll follow up with your contact and compare notes!! Thank you again!

@Thelma2 , yep, that’s what we needed. Thanks! (I’m pretty impressed this crew here figured it out on our own. Yay, us!)

@Scotsfi , that’s a totally different link than I had–waaaaaay better! Thank you! That Bill Coari seems like a swell guy (that was not sarcasm!). I hope all the PSA advisors are that helpful.

anyone that selected Tarleton as their PSA school: according to admissions at TAMU at 4:15 p.m., they have not been sent. their explanation…they are waiting for kids to make their decisions so they can be sent as a batch.

I don’t understand why Tarleton would be different than other schools. is the group that small that selects Tarleton? very frustrated! time is critical IMO. anyone have different info they can add?

ETA: Molly Stewart at Tarleton is out sick today and no one else can answer PSA questions.