PSA vs Engineering Academy

I have read several posts about PSA and engineering. If you are considering going the PSA route, I encourage you to look hard at the Engineering Academies. PSA for Engineering requires a 3.25 (with B or higher in calc, physics and Chemistry) and you do not take the freshman engineering class. What that means is if you transfer to TAMU your second year, you have to take the engineering class at TAMU while a sophomore. You will still be classified as a General Engineering major because the freshman engineering class is required before you can go through ETAM. At the Academies you take the Engineering class and go through ETAM just like the CS students in April of your freshman year. More information on the academies can be found on this thread. http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/2062343-engineering-academies-p1.html Hope it is helpful as you contemplate a big decision.

Hi, do you know how many are successful getting into TAMU after a year at the engineering academy?

@luvTX45 It depends on the Academy but I think it is in the 50-60% range your first year. Some students elect to just stay for the second year because of cost or they need to stay to satisfy the calculus sequence for the major they want. So the number that transition to TAMU CS doesn’t tell you the whole story. But the good news is that you are in control to make it no matter what the transition numbers are.

Thanks! My son already applied, accepted at Blinn but not at the engineering academy yet. My question is when does he find out he is accepted or rejected? It just seems a lot of waiting. I’m anxious to get evrything settled already.

The Blinn-Brenham engineering academy publishes the date that they announce their admissions, if I’m recalling that correctly. I just checked, and they say they start to announce admissions in April (no specific date given).

@luvTX45 last year Ashley reviewed the admission applications every Tuesday and then notified applicants the next day. Once Ashley approves your application, you will get access to a web portal to apply to TAMU. That decision should come in April. This info and lots of other stuff on the Engineering Academy thread. If you have a question post it there and I will answer the best I can.

As an Academy student, you are a Texas A&M student from day one. Academy students are given the same opportunities as students on the College Station campus. Students will have the chance to attend sporting events, join TAMU organizations, participate in Aggies Invent, or other TAMU sponsored events. Academy participants will experience their Engineering 102/216/217/482 courses taught on the community college campus by Texas A&M faculty. The remaining core classes, such as calculus, chemistry, and physics will be taught by the community college.